Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with Buck Kicker or Pattern Master chokes shooting buckshot? If so what kind of results are you getting?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use the buck kicker X-Full on my 870 with plated 00 and I can honestly say that it is definately worth the $50 or $60 bucks that I spent on it. Make sure you shoot plated buckshot out of it though as unplated shot will ruin the tube. Good luck!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have used both in 12 ga & 10 ga and can tell you if you want a very tight pattern like pie plate size at 40 yards then the Pattern Master choke is what you want. If you want a pattern that's not as tight then the Buck Kicker choke is what you need.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you are shooting 3.5 inch 00 Buck with the buck kicker choke you will extend your reach to 80 -100 yards. If you are a good shot you may do this with a full choke, but the buck kicker will help shoot a tighter pattern.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I shoot a SBE and use the Buck Kicker x-full. It holds a real good tight pattern w/ the Fed copper plated 00. The only thing I dont' like is how the Fed shells start to lose their packing material over time. It comes out like a salt shaker. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyway I don't know about unplated shot damaging the tube but it shoots Winchester unplated 00 almost as good.

Dan

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have had the same problem with fed shells they are junk.I have a pocket full of packing material at the end of the day.I am a winchester man.You can send them back but I dont think it is worth bothering with.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I think that it wasn't the unplated loads which should not be shot, it's steel shot according to the webpage. A simple misunderstanding. I'm just entertaining the idea of the buck kicker at this point. Anyway, Fed shells do suck. I've been using Remington 3.5 00B (unplated) for three years now, and never had a shell leak packing. Good shells too. Killed a pile of 'em with them. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Nothing, I think. One of the guy's previously had said that the manufacturer indicated that unplated shot would ruin the tube. I think that he meant steel shot would. That's what I got from the webpage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks for the update on the unplated shot through the buckkicker. I was just told from the gentleman where I bought it that it would ruin it. Go figure he had 4-5 different types of plated buckshot for me to "try out" on the tube as well. Thanks for the info on the steelshot though as I did not know that. I found the best patterning shell to be the remington premier nickel plated 00 in my particular gun. Remington no longer makes this shell anymore. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a couple of boxes? I would be more than happy to pay double what they used to retail for.

Thanks

·
Registered
742 Posts
I use a Kicks turkey choke, great results. I dont know if shooting unplated shells is a problem though??

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Buckkicker and 00

2 3/4 inch Winchester and the BK choke is the way to go - holds the pattern and puts them down at 60 yards. First shots I took were at 50 yards and thought it was a stretch until I knocked his antlers clean off with shot number 1 _ OK I was going for the head shot and put him down with #2. Put one on and you won't go back.

·
Registered
548 Posts
If anyone needs a choke, see Charlie @ Ashland Firearms Service! You won't need to waste a bunch of money trying out different loads! He is the man!:thumbup:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joe Sportsman, I have heard that Ashland Fire Arms set's up shotguns especially for shooting Buckshot. Do you know what he does? Backbore, Sleeve? I have heard form several people that he does fantastic. I tried the buckkicker and did not like it. It did not pattern as well as the factory full in my 870 and I noticed the holes were not round like they normally are kind of jagged.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts