Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use both and haven't noticed a difference in catching with either one. Does anyone seem to better with one or the other? Time of year etc make any difference?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Spring trophy season the parachutes seem to catch much better.

Summer (resident fish) bucktails produce better.

Fall I mix parachutes and bucktails and the parachutes usually catch the overs and bucktails catch the unders.

·
Premium Member
26,103 Posts
I still troll a few bucktails for big fish.Most times white but yellow is used now/then.Really good bucktails are hard to find and require more care then a parachute.

FWIW: Bucktails fished deep do better then off the boards- for some weird reason - on my boat.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting. I have some good bucktails I bought at Tylers a number of years ago. Seems like the green head with white hair has caught a lot in spring. I will pay more attention this year.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Bucktails have caught alot of fish, chutes haven't been around all that long. But, as already been mentioned, chutes seem to work better on the bigger fish in the spring and fall and bucktails are better on the schoolies in the summer. Back in the day, before chutes came along, there was a bucktail known as an "8 Ball" which, as I recall was made by "Chesapeake Bay Lures". It had white real bucktail hair, black head with white and red painted eyes and came in a variety of sizes. That bait caught a ton of fish. Getting off topic here but I always include a bucktail or two in my spread and they still catch.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Bucktails been around along time. I have customers that run nothing but bucktails. I use real deer hair when I tie them.

Vince

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I run both. Most my tandems are double bucktails and my solos are chutes. Both catch with the swim baits. I think the chutes just make for a larger presentation in the water. I am weird in the sense that I troll most my tandems with 9" on the lead and 6" shads on the trailer. My two largest fish ever came on a tandem bucktail and both on the 6" trailer

·
Registered
902 Posts
pretty much used to just have bucktails and pork rind.
you'd slice the pork rind to give it action for the size bucktail.
lot easier w plastics

1 - 9 of 9 Posts