Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a deer to a processing place today, first timer. I noticed a huge pile of skins from the recent slaughter and asked what they were going to do with them. Well, they're bound for the dump and they didn't care if I took a few bucktails. I got to pick and choose too. The little bugger I shot didn't have much of one but there were some very nice tails there. I tried finding the longest white hairs near the base of the tail. Was I doing that right? I didn't feel like looking too hard after a long day but thought I'd share the info.

So, if you want free bucktails, head to your local deer processing place. I went to Knotts's place out in Mt. Airy.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Good idea. I have often thought of checking with a place that processes a lot of deer but never have. A taxidermist is another direct source.

The middle third of the tail is where the premium hair for flies comes from. It is usually the longest also. I usually eliminate several inches at the base because the hair is coarse and sticks out when you tie it down. It also breaks more easily compared to the hair farther up. The hair often gets relatively short at the tip but is still usable hair.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Taken to the dump! What a waste of good tying materials! :eek:

Yep, I agree with Wild Bill, but if you tie bucktail jigs, that base hair is fine, especially for big jigs. I've had some large tails that had base hair so coarse it would even work fine for spinning bass bugs.

When I tied commercially I bought raw tails by the hundreds, and prefered medium to small size tails, as the hair was generally finer, and better suited for flies & small jigs.

But, like any other natural material, it depends on the animal! :thumbup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts