Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some articles on building a center console. I have a 16' dual console that I am going to cut out and make into a center. I want to make the center out of foam and fiberglass, to keep it light wieght, unless that wont work. If I make it out of foam, what type of foam should I use, or does it matter since I will cover it with fiberglass?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Have you tried pricing one thats already built it may work out to be cheaper than trying to build one yourself. I do know that they are available and here is a link to one to give some idea and I would think if you did a internet search you could find alot more. If you live in the tidewater area you may want to try budget boats. I just think trying to make one would take alot of time and money. If you do not have alot of experence with fiberglass it may not turn out at all. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do live in tidewater, and have checked with BB's out in Chesepeake, they have some center consoles for around 100 or so. I think I am just going to make it out of Marine grade plywood.

I thought I needed to watch the weight of the boat, but it is a 16' with a hull rating of 65hp, and my friend just gave me his Johson 90 hp, so I am not to worried about weight any more.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
132 Posts
if you can get one for 100 bucks, buy it. it will cost you more than 100 in materials to make one out of marine plywood, and glass. one cast out of a mold will look alot better too. 1 sheet of 1/2 marine ply is 60 bucks, a gallon of resin is 20-40, and mat will cost 20-50 depending on source. and if you want it to gel coat it or paint it, its going to cost more. a quart kit of paint can cost 80+ dollars. so in short buy the 100 dollar one, and spend the money you saved on fixing up other things with the boat.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That makes sense, I had not priced out all pieces to the puzzle yet.

Does anybody know where I can get a running 40-60 hp OB for cheap? The man with the engine dropped out on me.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
[Q]CursedFisherman originally wrote:
That makes sense, I had not priced out all pieces to the puzzle yet.

Does anybody know where I can get a running 40-60 hp OB for cheap? The man with the engine dropped out on me.
[/Q]I would agree if you can purchase one from BB for around $100 I would jump on that it will be much cheaper than building one. Keep an eye on the classifides there are always a few for sale and make sure you can check the compression befror you purchase. Good Luck

·
Registered
559 Posts
But building one yourself will allow you to customize it to fit your needs. That's the way I would go... [smile]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts