Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never used them but after after attending snoodfest I feel I need to at leat give them a try. Before I venture into this what should I expect to pay for them and can I get some do and don't do advice. Getting them shouldn't be my biggest problem, we have a lot of slaughter houses around here.

Maybe I should have asked more questions last Sunday instead of filling my middle section with all that great food:eatdrink:

Thanks

John

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
Tony,

How many pounds to do a 1000' line with 5' bait spacing and are they worth it???? I know they're durable but how are the catch comparisons to chicken necks?

My dad first heard about using them 25 years ago but we never did, availability was an issue.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have been crabbing with Tony and have always used chicken necks in the past. But when I went crabbing with Tony, I was exposed to using bull lips for the first time and boy did the crabs love them....maybe more than the necks. At least since the bull lips are tougher, they can last a few trips. When I have used chicken necks, the hungry crabs would eat all my bait in a few hours requiring rebaiting.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Tony,

How many pounds to do a 1000' line with 5' bait spacing and are they worth it???? I know they're durable but how are the catch comparisons to chicken necks?
I would guess about 7-8lbs....I bait 1200' lines and I bait 4' apart and depending on how much I lose to fat I'll get about 2400-3000' baited with 20lbs.

IMO they are VERY worth it. I use them 3 times and at most 4.....necks you can only use once and I've been run off the water more than once because my necks were (for lack of a better word) destroyed.

As far as the catch comparison I think that they work just as well. I've been out there beside guys using necks or eel and I've done just as well if not better than them.

I would tell anyone to give it a try. I get about 4800' of line baited with 40lbs of necks for $14.95 and get the equalivilant of about 10,000' of line with the lips (using the baited lines 3-4 days) for $22.95........so besides less work baiting lines everyday it's more economical as well.

Tony

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lips

Thanks Moc, Tony. I'll give it a try. Living up here in Pa. makes it hard for us to get back to back days on the water due to unbaiting and rebaiting along with travel time. Was thinking about another 3600' trotline for the 2nd day but I think it would make more sense to try to get two days out of my bait.

Beth and John

·
Registered
503 Posts
because i don't get out back to back days i am going with lips this season. i plan to bait line and keep it well salted.than store in freezer.salt should help preserve and keep line from freeze into a big tangle i hope!

·
Registered
204 Posts
There is a place called JW Treuth's butcher shop in Oella, MD (near Ellicot City). Get off the beltway at Frederick Avenue. I haven't bought there in a good while, but last time was something like 85 cents/pound +/-

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Bull lips

G & H Bait Sales 29012 Rabbit hill rd, Easton Md 21601
410-819-8169
address is rabbit hill rd but there small sign is on rte 50
they are just off rte 50 near the airport & the new applebees

also here is some more info on JW treuth
http://www.treuth.com/wholesale.html

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
RJ, thanks for the Treuth link. My neighbor buys from thembut i hadno idea they wre that big.

Only 15 minutes from my house, might need to check bull lips with them.

On a different note that has been discussed previously.

If you dry salt (Just pack the line in it) or salt brine a baited line can you keep it without refrigeration assuming bull lips for bait. If so how much salt in the brine for a 1000' line.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
If you dry salt (Just pack the line in it) or salt brine a baited line can you keep it without refrigeration assuming bull lips for bait. If so how much salt in the brine for a 1000' line.
I haven't used a pickle barrel but one time, since I went to chicken necks. Freezer is the best to use now. The lips will last in it without refrigeration for 3 or 4 days.

The best advise is use plenty of salt and cover the line with water (make a solution first). The salt we used to use is animal salt in 40 lb plastic bags. A whole lot cheaper.

The animal salt bags has a warning on it "Not to be used for human consumption".

Hope this helps.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Question:

Anybody use bull lips early on beside Tony, or do you switch when the crabs become more plentiful and the small ones come on.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,151 Posts
DW,
I've heard long ago to use as much salt as it takes to float a potato in the brine. That was for eels, but I'd guess it would work for all baits. Personally, I'd use double that amount to compensate for the water left in the baits and the line after initial and subsequent uses. Too much is almost enough.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I never use them early in the season & rarely in the end of the season- I usually rebait 100% every day

salt-if you want a brine solution just keep adding until no more salt will dissolve
if using your bait the next day- many will just dip the bait in salt as they are rebaiting and store it in the shade for the next day

you can also salt chicken necks and they will keep about 3 weeks in the frigerator unfrozen

salt- as reds says- feed salt- available at farm supply stores and some bait stores--50 & 80 lb bags--cheep
http://www.cargillsalt.com/agriculture/dc_salt_ag_mixnfine.htm
or
http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=8&paID=1041&sonID=178&page=2&productID=2337

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
JMHO
If your a rec crabber bull lips are not the way to go
In the summer months July- August when the small crabs are a pain in the butt and you have 3600 of necks on the line and baiting every day then you may want to consider lips.
I liked not having to rebait every day for 2 hours. But I still think fresh checken is better that 2 day old lips.
John: 60 lbs of frozen bull lips will cut up easily if you have a ban saw.
Cutting them with a serrated knife like I used to use after they thawed took some time.
Then I would roll them in salt and keep till used. This will also cause the meat to drain the blood and make a brime. Jerry is correct enough salt (animal) to float a potato. Most Southern States stores carry it . I think its like $7 a bag. Keep it in a cool place. It will go bad in a hot shed in August !!
I agree with Tony on the cost factor. Used for several days and brimed, lips are cheaper.
But at the same time I found my lbs. per day of crabs was down also.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lips

Guys, Thanks for all the good information. Now I need to weigh the differences. Like I said before, If we don't use lips this year I'll need to prepare another 3600' so we can get out both Saturday and Sundays.

John

·
Banned
165 Posts
I dry salt mine...But it is used the next day also. I cut my lips up and pack in dry salt.I buy the 25lb bags from Food Lion. Its just regular table salt..I just cut up my bait and packed 160lbs of lips in 125lb of salt make sure you mix your lips and salt evenly so all the lips are covered..Its alot of salt but I dont want them to spoil either. When I wind the line in at the end of each day I layer the salt on top as the line spools back into the barrel..I havent had any problems with doing it that way. Also Treuths lips are fairly fresh..Ive gone there and got them so fresh they where not frozen. They sell them in 20lb boxes. G & H has veal lips also..They have less fat on them. They work pretty good also.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I dry salt mine...But it is used the next day also. I cut my lips up and pack in dry salt.I buy the 25lb bags from Food Lion. Its just regular table salt..I just cut up my bait and packed 160lbs of lips in 125lb of salt make sure you mix your lips and salt evenly so all the lips are covered..Its alot of salt but I dont want them to spoil either. When I wind the line in at the end of each day I layer the salt on top as the line spools back into the barrel..I havent had any problems with doing it that way. Also Treuths lips are fairly fresh..Ive gone there and got them so fresh they where not frozen. They sell them in 20lb boxes. G & H has veal lips also..They have less fat on them. They work pretty good also.
Don't buy salt from Food Lion:nono:

Find a local feed mill........I pay $5 for 80lbs of feed salt and $7 for 80lbs of table salt.

Tony

1 - 20 of 24 Posts