Tidal Fish Forum banner
81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Christy you do not need to apologize. When that bull shark comes up and bites him on his butt he will not be asking all those questions.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Now that I have read the whole thread. I posted the above just after reading the first page. I agree with CaptNemo. I was not there I am not going to second guess a guy who has a shark in his pound net. He caught it and killed it so be it. I woiuld like to ask why is the idiot still allowed to fish after being caught poaching and what is DNR doing with the guy knowing he stands against every thing they stand for. This is the question that should be asked.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I woiuld like to ask why is the idiot still allowed to fish after being caught poaching and what is DNR doing with the guy knowing he stands against every thing they stand for. This is the question that should be asked.
Part of his community service is the first thing that comes to mind???? Working for the Marine Museum.......

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
you all are absolutely nuts, who cares if they killed the shark or it was already dead, we are fishermen, thats what we do, kill things that swim. What is the difference when people go out on sharking trips hang a mako or a thresher back at the dock and every one says "wow good job, nice day", blah blah blah, or when someone puts together a nice limit of stripers everyone jumps on and says good work, but some scientist kill as described by them "the most dangerous shark in the world" a couple hundred yards from a swimming beach and you merries throw up your arms. Give me a break. I haven't been on this board in about 2 month, now I see why I stay away. Continue to pick and choose which species and which circumstances it is ok to kill animals and condemn the rest, what a joke
I think the issue with sharks is similar to oysters. If the bull shark population is at 1% of where it was as recently as 1969, and we can see the direct negative impact of their decline on the Bay's ecosystem, then we are justifiably concerned whenever one of the few remaining bulls is removed from the system.

That said, given the circumstances I was ready to cut these guys some slack for keeping the fish in the excitement of it all, but their rap sheet and comments even after learning of the bull shark's roll in the Bay have me rethinking that.

Regarding the danger, the Bay has historically been one of the east coast's primary shark nurseries, had many bull sharks up until the past couple of decades, and obviously still has a few swimming around. Yet, not a single shark attack has ever been reported in the Chesapeake. My guess is that you're in greater danger of being gashed by a bluefish or skewered by a cownose ray, and in much greater danger of being injured by another boater or by your own fishing tackle.

BTW, nice rockfish in that signature pic.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Regarding the danger, the Bay has historically been one of the east coast's primary shark nurseries, had many bull sharks up until the past couple of decades, and obviously still has a few swimming around. Yet, not a single shark attack has ever been reported in the Chesapeake. My guess is that you're in greater danger of being gashed by a bluefish or skewered by a cownose ray, and in much greater danger of being injured by another boater or by your own fishing tackle.
Agree, as long as the sharks have plenty of food they are little to no threat to humans. Thats what the river monsters guy said anyway

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Why do I need to go to Brisbane when I got the shark right here (Matt Hooper voice)

Christy, your the mayor of shark town.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
you all are absolutely nuts, who cares if they killed the shark or it was already dead, we are fishermen, thats what we do, kill things that swim. What is the difference when people go out on sharking trips hang a mako or a thresher back at the dock and every one says "wow good job, nice day", blah blah blah, or when someone puts together a nice limit of stripers everyone jumps on and says good work, but some scientist kill as described by them "the most dangerous shark in the world" a couple hundred yards from a swimming beach and you merries throw up your arms. Give me a break. I haven't been on this board in about 2 month, now I see why I stay away. Continue to pick and choose which species and which circumstances it is ok to kill animals and condemn the rest, what a joke
AMEN

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I was just watching the River monsters episode about Bullsharks and People were outraged that they were releasing the sharks after they were caught, they were even getting death threats. I guess your damned if you do, damned if you don't.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Agree with you 100%, well said! If it had happened on a "HO" trip, the person would have been lauded for it!!!

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Here is the real reason the shark population is down. Not because the first one in years was killed in the bay. If you want to get angry and talk about decline in populations here is the guys you want to yell at! Make sure you read the story at the end. You have to scroll down to see the pictures http://www.alexhoffordphotography.com/node/2333 Very sad!

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Here is the real reason the shark population is down. Not because the first one in years was killed in the bay. If you want to get angry and talk about decline in populations here is the guys you want to yell at! Make sure you read the story at the end. You have to scroll down to see the pictures http://www.alexhoffordphotography.com/node/2333 Very sad!
Les Stroud just had a show on Discovery about vanishing tribes and they had the Sea Gypsies of the Mayalsia in the South China Sea. and they noted that they catches of smaller fish have been better with the lack of predators around (they also understand that it is the begining of the end as well) and the ban on finning but then he mentioned that the blackmarket money is so lucrative that it does happen. Really good show living on the water isn't as easy as it looks. Beyond Survival I think is the name of the series.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
seems like much about nothing. Watermen catch and kill tons of unusual ocean fish in limited supply in pound nets in Maryland. Just not very much of it is in the headlines, and I think its good for watermen to keep it like that. Plus, a bull shark is fairly common in the bay. If any fishermen caught one of these things by a sporting method especially if he targeted one in the bay, I would not begrudge him one bit to bring it home. Not sure how it could be done safely, but my hat is off if you could. Seems like a bull shark on deck is like setting a bear trap on deck, but what do I know. Bringing one of those fish to the dock would be a badge of honor for most fishermen, except the elitists, some of which have no problem condemning any C&K while priding themselves on how many big roe laden stripers they can hook and release 5 miles out in the ocean in the winter.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I give up-

In a large skillet brown some salted butter, to that add the bull shark steaks that have been stuffed in cow striper row and wrapped in bacon. Once cooked al dente place each package on top of the grilled cow nose ray wings then top with hollandaise. Serve with FAVA beans and a nice Chianti..

·
Registered
719 Posts
Sharks take years longer to mature than most fish and don't have millions of eggs but rather an offspring of few pups... populations are a fraction of what they should be worldwide (NOT JUST OFF THE ASIAN COAST) and cannot repopulate in a few generations like other fish.
If your gonna complain about the cownose ray infestation we've been seeing then how can you justify killing this remarkable, yet threatened predator?

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
Is the Bull shark population low? From what I've read, which isn't a lot. They aren't threatened. They had two Bull sharks caught in one day near point lookout, the first time theres been one reported caught around there since the mid 70s. Im not sure how I stand in whether it should be killed or not, but from what I've read they are a very aggressive shark that has been known to attack humans, and they like to go into shallow water where people swim. If they are really that dangerous they should be killed. you can't put a shark or a rays life ahead of a human life. I think it depends on who you ask, if you ask some eviromentalists or conservationists (some not all) they may say to release it, if you tracked down a family member that lost a loved one from a Bull shark attack or a survivor, they may be for killing it

81 - 100 of 114 Posts