Tidal Fish Forum banner
101 - 114 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,291 Posts
Zam - Sharks get a very bad deal. I've dove to see Bull Sharks off Costa Rica - site called " Big Scare ". Three of us were within 10 feet of some very large Bull sharks - one went over 500 lbs.

They looked us over but were not in any way threatening - just the opposite - amazing to see.

Divers go daily off Bahamas to watch shark feedings. I dove there with 40 to 50 sharks - even petted a few. They had zero interest in people.

Almost all shark attacks can be called mistakes. The shark bites - not to eat the person - often mistaking them for prey.
Most victims are bitten once - then released. Bad part - the single bite can be fatal to the person.

Bull sharks can be dangerous but face it - if they were looking to munch on us - it would be easy pickings everyday.

I read a neat thing in a diving book - more people are killed by vending machines each year then by sharks.

I've seen first hand the shark population crash. Just 20 years ago - common to catch / release a dozen big sharks off Ocean City. Now 3-4 is a good day.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I was actually just reading about people that watch sharks and for some reason the sharks are less likely to attck a person in diving gear (eventhough it does happen). they think the diving gear gives the person a more un natual look, plus swimmers and surfers aren't usually totally submerged so they appear smaller. There has been over 1000 shark attacks reported in america in the last 300+ years and most attacks are never reported. it is fairly rare, I know on the River monsters episode they tried to down play the attacks by saying that more people are bit by other people in NY city then by Bullsharks, but we are land animals so that should be expected. We spend much less time swimming around sharks then walking on land

·
Premium Member
26,291 Posts
Kind of a morbid joke but - Any diver bitten by a shark deserved it.
Some truth there - diver got bite off Fla. , after he jabbed a shark with a knife. Shark whirled around and bite him.

I spear fish and now / then a shark will come in and take the speared fish. We call it - the tax man.
They never bother us - just want the fish. Some seemed to have learned the THUNK of a speargun means dinner.

IMHO - Sharks have more to fear from us they we have of them.

·
Registered
14,617 Posts
I have had a catch bag full of fish and had sharks come looking to take it. They don't have to take it......I give it:yes: You got to be smart around sharks but I have never been bothered by one and have been diving around many of them. If people knew how many sharks are swimming the Atlantic beaches they would never go in the water. In reality, the sharks just don't mess with people unless it's a rare case of mistaken idenity. You got a better chance of winning the lottery.............Gary

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
ASIAN COAST
Asian Coast huh? where is this Asian country you speak of, never heard of it before, So by your rational I hope you get on every single thread about BFT trips and condemn the fishermen for their catch because they too will be extinct in our lifetime but people continue to catch and kill as many as possible/legal yet no body jumps on them.

My point is, if there was nothing illegal done, what right do we have to say whats right or wrong, because you wouldn't have killed it makes it wrong?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
About a year after Jaws came out, I met one of the guys that tows banners up/down the beach from OC up to the Indian River inlet. He told me that he saw an average of 50/60 sharks a day jjust off the breakers. He was told by the chamber of commerce Pres to NEVER tell anyone what he had seem or the beaches would be deserted. He just happened to be a friend of a friend. I've been bumped many times while swimming in the surf. Not pleasant feeling but luckily I've never been bitten. Most Marine biologist will tell you just stay out of the water between sunset and sunrise and you'll lower your risk factor 10 fold.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Is the Bull shark population low? From what I've read, which isn't a lot. They aren't threatened. They had two Bull sharks caught in one day near point lookout, the first time theres been one reported caught around there since the mid 70s. Im not sure how I stand in whether it should be killed or not, but from what I've read they are a very aggressive shark that has been known to attack humans, and they like to go into shallow water where people swim. If they are really that dangerous they should be killed. you can't put a shark or a rays life ahead of a human life. I think it depends on who you ask, if you ask some eviromentalists or conservationists (some not all) they may say to release it, if you tracked down a family member that lost a loved one from a Bull shark attack or a survivor, they may be for killing it
You don't know how correct you were:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jersey_Shore_shark_attacks_of_1916

A bull shark was likely the basis for "Jaws"

101 - 114 of 114 Posts