Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to know the best way to attach 1/8" bungee snoods to 1/4" soft-lay.
I'm aware of the clove hitch, and its popularity for being a simple way to attach snoods; However, with this hitch(knot) the snoods seem to slip/slide up and down the trotline. Could I be attaching it wrong? has anyone else experienced this problem? I remember seeing a post(with Pix) detailing another way to attach snoods, can't find it, can anyone help?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You can tie an overhand knot at the end of the bungee.......take the knot and slip it through your softlay and then tie your clovehitch.....the knot will help hold everything together a little better.

Tony

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
It is hard to describe without a pic, but I will try.
open up the strands of soft lay and stick the notted end of the bungee through it, then just tie 2 overhand knots around the soft lay-1 on each side of the knoted end that you just put through the strands of soft lay. it will stay put.

some crabbers only tie 1 overhand knot around the soft lay- my preference is 2 knots around the soft lay

a picture would be a better description, I will look for one and try to post it

·
Registered
204 Posts
I tie an overhand knot at the very end of the snood. Insert that end through the soft lay. Tie a figure-8 around 2 of the 3 softlay strands. Pull it tight. Its done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Attn C-Hawk

My 1st message was in reference to "how to tie the new and improved snood". In response to my question, no one informed on the proper way to attach the snood to the main (trotline). READ CAFEFULLY!!!! try to comprehend??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
C-Hawk 18

I'm not posting questions so as "to fill a book"; I referenced the "search function" and could not find anything that resulted in a proper fit for my situation/application; If you so happen to find something that may be of interest to me = please forward!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Shoot4Bone,

I thought you asked..... "And how to attach snood to main line?" in your first post.

That's why, if you look at the responses you will see that I said that I use ss blunt ended hog rings.

In your 2nd post you ask "I would like to know the best way to attach 1/8" bungee snoods to 1/4" soft-lay."

If this is not the same thing, then I'm sorry I guess I was not READING CAREFULLY.
Maybe you have some other way to COMPREHEND.

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/crabbers/200395-tying-snoods-help.html

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ss blunt end hog rings

Where can I purchase ss blunt end hog rings in the size that you use?
Thanks for your help, C-Hawk 18

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Millers Island **** Pot Supply in Edgemere is where I buy mine. You get them by the pound. They also have the hog-ring pliers. I think the pliers were about $10 for the better ones. If you don't want to spring for the pliers, what I did first was grind a slot in each side of a pair of regular slip-joint pliers.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would like to know the best way to attach 1/8" bungee snoods to 1/4" soft-lay.
I'm aware of the clove hitch, and its popularity for being a simple way to attach snoods; However, with this hitch(knot) the snoods seem to slip/slide up and down the trotline. Could I be attaching it wrong? has anyone else experienced this problem? I remember seeing a post(with Pix) detailing another way to attach snoods, can't find it, can anyone help?
Shoot,

I think this is the link you want. Look at reply #14. ;-)

http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/crabbers/34488-a.html

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Here is a dirrect link
http://www.tidalfish.com/forums/crabbers/34488-a-2.html#post213188

Islander
Thanks that's the link I was looking for,,Polecat did a great job describing the snood

As far as Hog Rings,I know that some guys use them and its not "wrong" to use them, but I don't use them, they are not really necessary the knot is plenty strong and sometines the snoods have to be replaced due to breakage etc,
real easy to do with just a knot, I consider Hog rings just an extra unnecesssary step

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ditto!

That is the link that I've heard about. First off, thanks to Polecat for such a GREAT description of steps needed to be taken (the pix help tremendously). Secondly, to rj and Islander 2 for the exact link. Lastly, it's been raining all day - Sun. 4/15 - No Better Time to Drink Some Beer, Tie Some Snoods & Think Warmer Weather=Crabbing. Thanx2All!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts