Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking at putting a new trailer under the SeaCraft. Wondering if there is a consensus for the upper bay? Fishing mostly out of the patapsco, sandy point or kent island. Thanks in advance for the help guys....

matt

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I like bunks. Its what I'm used to and the boat sits lower on the trailer. Plus, if the vessel is living on the trailer, I believe its better for the hull.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent brother,
I had a bunk trailer and have a roller trailer and liked the bunk trailer better. With the advent of the slick bunks, it's a lot easer to slide your boat off the trailer then it was before. Plus I do like the fact the boat rides lower on the trailer.

·
Registered
849 Posts
bunks

i'd go with a bunk trailer. in addition to better support for the hull, lower center of gravity, no adjusting and re-adjusting rollers, if you're into "power loading" (the only way to get a boat on a trailer, imo), bunk trailers are the only way to go.

b

·
Registered
385 Posts
In those areas, the only ramp I've used is Sandy Point - no issues with bunk trailers there. In general I prefer bunks for ease of unloading and power-loading solo, and their (IMHO anyway) better support of the boats bottom.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
I always had bunk trailers, but my current trailer is a roller, I had it for about 5 years (came with the boat), when I first got it I didn,t like it, but once I got a system down, I was able to launch and retreave my boat just as fast (or faster) as when I rode my boat onto my bunk trailer. one advantage with rollers are if you launch at shallow places. it depends alot on where you launch, I dont think it would matter much at the ramps you mentioned, but at some ramps theres an advantage with bunks, at the CBBT, the guys with bunks had a big advantage because they could pull their trailer down the middle (between the ramps) and drive their boats on. bunks are usually cheaper to

·
Registered
394 Posts
Both have there advantages and disadvantages. My bay boat has an ez load trailer with rollers and works on about any ramps I've found. I would not try to drive on with this type of trailer, but its a lot easier to launch on some of the shallower ramps. My reservoir runner has a bunk trailer and is fine as long as the water level doesn't drop. I've been with my buddy crabbing at a few ramps where he had trouble launching with his bunk trailer. That being said, there has been some talk among park people about banning drive ons at some ramps. There have been a few injuries when someone was driving a boat onto a trailer and there wake washed the boat beside it off a trailer. Most of the time this is probably not a problem, but I can see where a little slip of the throttle hand could get interesting.
The areas you are talking about should be no problem with either trailer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts