Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're out fishing for the day and want to mark a spot, are there regulations that limit what size marker buoy you're allowed to put in the water and for how long? Also, any thoughts on size of marker buoy weight to hold bottom under most conditions? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
That used to be old school trick - guys would use a Coke bottle. Only trouble - others would not see it and wrap line in prop.

Once GPS got popular - marker jugs all but went away.

We used to use an orange crab pot float and a regular brick - tied onto 60 lb mono. This way if taken - we were only out few dollars.

I'd be leery leaving a marker out nowadays - many more boats around. You can get a hand held GPS for around $100.00 - perfect if you just want to mark a hotspot.

I'm not aware of any regulation - think it boils down to common sense , not putting it where boats might run afoul of it.

·
Registered
14,077 Posts
That used to be old school trick - guys would use a Coke bottle. Only trouble - others would not see it and wrap line in prop.

Once GPS got popular - marker jugs all but went away.

We used to use an orange crab pot float and a regular brick - tied onto 60 lb mono. This way if taken - we were only out few dollars.

I'd be leery leaving a marker out nowadays - many more boats around. You can get a hand held GPS for around $100.00 - perfect if you just want to mark a hotspot.

I'm not aware of any regulation - think it boils down to common sense , not putting it where boats might run afoul of it.
I use a crab pot float and a brick to mark my catfish holes so I can get an exact anchor on them. Once anchored, I take them up. Just makes it easier to anchor over exact spot...... Gary

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I once found an old crab pot buoy on the shore and decided it would make a good marker buoy. Along with a regular brick, I used it to mark very small structure spots that were hard to find, GPS or not. No one notices a crab float, as there are millions of them around. It worked great.

But when getting boarded by the DNR, they found it and told me that I could NOT have that on my vessel, as it was a commercial crab buoy. And they took it.

After that, I used Don Evans advice and switched to a clear or green soda bottle without a label. That way, you have to know almost exactly where it is to find it.

Those were the days! Back when I would fish several days a week. Now I fish several days a year... UGH. I hate being landlocked!

-TH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts