Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went Sunday at about 4 PM to the shallow end expecting alot of water to be rushing in from the feeder creek and I was right. Lot of water coming in and it was stained of course.

Took one light action spinning rod with an in-line mepps and a new rod and reel I'm just now getting to used. it is a calcutta 400 on a Loomis 12-25# 7'...boat rod for the bay but doubles as a muskie rod and that's why I tested it at Burke Lake. I had 20# gamagatsu mono and a 6 inch storm shad around 2 ounces.

No muskie but on the 4th cast I gets nailed near the feeder creek. Cuaght at least 5# LM. Small rod got one small LM before the thunder chased me off.

·
Registered
178 Posts
what do you use for muskie on burke lake? They seem to hit my spinner alot. Also, what section is best? I just move near there recently.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most of our muskie hit big white spinner baits or inline mepps giant killer from the shore. Or rent a boat and troll big, shallow diving plugs and the above blade baits.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've given up on Burke Lake. There's fish in there but the fishing pressure is too high because it's in a very populated area (Fairfax). I've seen up to a dozen bass boats putting in at the VGIF boatramp that's just past the main gate but I never saw anyone pull anything substantial out of the lake. I fish from a kayak and I use a fishfinder to mark targets and the fish seem to hang only at several points around the lake but not many bite. I find better action fishing the Potomac and Occoquon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bluetarpon,

Wow, I also fish out of a kayak and live in Chantilly. I also have given up on Burke Lake for the same reason. I have primarily fished the Shenandoah and a few other bodies of water within a 60 mile radius of Chantilly. If you want to fish together sometime I'd enjoy the company.

Leon

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Burke Lake may be the most heavily fished lakes in the US. No sheet. Nice weekends are a no go. Typical lures are a no no too since the fish have seen it all. Use lures better fitted to rockfish and you will be amazed, go in November and it is the best big bass lake in the state...according to the biologists and ....me for whatever that is worth.

Just like I went during the rain storms, nailed a big one on the 4th cast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
While i've never actually fished the lake, the only time i tried dgif said it was open, we drove two hours from richmond and the thing was a sheet of ice. I hear the fishin can be great bu the pressure is incredible. That being said, off the wall lures and off the wall times, like rainstorms could produce bigtime. How successful are you guys at catching muskies from the bank???? also how do you like shenandoah? it would seem from the layout fairly easy to locate the resident musky population.

·
Registered
37 Posts
For the Shenandoah I float downstream in my kayak. With the exception of this week the water levels have been too low for me to navigate. In the past have caught numerous smallmouth and bluegills with grubs, beetlespins and spinnerbait. Occasional largemouth and good catfish action in the evening. Never caught or seen muskie there. I'm primarily fishing the South Fork section above Front Royal. Cheers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Before the great flood I paddled up from Fletchers Boat House up the Potomac to where the small falls are past Chain Bridge. Flow was low and slow and I made it to the rock pile that splits the falling water. Muskie (or pike?) were hitting baitfish in the middle of the river all around me. The rock pile slows the flow so they were hanging in the slow water. I had a 7wt fly rod but they weren't interested in anything I had to offer. If you fish from the rocks you could hit the middle of the river with a 7' spin rig. I would use braid with a flouro leader and throw small Storm fish immitators or large curly tail grubs on a lead head. Throw up river and work the lure to shore as it drifts downstream. BE CAREFUL. That place is VERY dangerous and if you fall in you might not make it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Never fished lake shenandoah sorry..there are some good sized n. pike in lake frederick...with all the construction its a pain in the ass to get their these days...

mike

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I used to fish Burke a lot a few years back when we lived in Springfield. It is a weird lake to say the least, but the fish are there and can be caught. Everything from crappie, shellcrackers, Bass, and of course Muskies. Good electronics, and persistance will pay off. I like the lake best from late fall to early spring, but if you can flip, you can catch bass in the warmer months. The muskies will eat big lures, but I've had best success livelining crappie and LMBs (no nasty emails). The lake is managed, so the fishing is very consistent from year to year.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've live lined some blue gill under bobbers and gotten hits...never had the patience to not set the hook too early on them muskies. Never did well with shiners there.

Shame on you about the LMB, I was no angel in my youth though.

Them muskie are smart. Here is something for you: go to the shallow end and face the lake...walk to the left to the end of first cove that has alittle island in the middle. Seems like every night (now not allowed...drove around the gate) a big muskie is working things there...I only get follows on a black spinner bait with black blades...nerve racking and it always stopped before it hit...I cuaght most of mine by mistake bass fishing or trolling for em.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts