Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are deer adverse to the smell of burlap?

I recently bought some camo burlap to carry with me in case I decide to make an impromptu ground stand/blind. I have washed it in scent eliminator and hung it outside (even in the rain) and it still has the "burlap" smell.

I know burlap is made of plants, so the scent should be natural, BUT I don't know how the deer would respond to it. The smell is not too dissimilar to the smell of the huge round haybales that I would use as ground blinds when I was living in PA.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with deer and burlap or speculation to share?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've also bought several of those burlap type camo nets and they do have a strong odor when new. I'd say anything out of the norm in the deer's environment will be noticed by the deer. Just take your new camo out and hang it up outside for a few days to breath, should help some.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was just watching TV last night and they were talking about using burning burlap to smoke bees. They talked about its unique smell and how it was made from hemp.

I would use some synthetic materials like nylon, the smell might not exist and it will not rot, or soke up water like burlap.

Mark

·
Registered
41 Posts
hey someone told me today about burlap blinds and they told me they dose it in fox urine and let it set outside for a few days and that does the trick.[smile]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts