Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am opposed to the plan laid out by President Bush last evening as it does not address the core problems in Iraq.

Saudi Arabia is Sunni and Iran is Sh'ite. Iraq is both and neither wants the other in power. (thus the large voter turnout, police death squads, mass killing of Kurds who fit neither religious group and the eventual taking of power by whomever can).

While its politically beneficial to convince the US public that we are fighting "terrorists" we in fact are fighting much more than that. We are being killed by remnants of the Iraqi army, by relatives of those who lost loved ones to the American invasion, to Jihadists who will kill anyone not of the Islamic faith who are on Islamic soil, to Muslims who believe the Koran whereby any infidel who kills a Muslim is to be killed, we are being bombed by the unemployed who were replaced by Americans with American companies which are reaping millions in reconstruction dollars which the Iraqi feel is their rightful monies.
Sending more troops into this malstrom can be equated with President Johnson sending more troops into Viet Nam. The WMD is becoming Bush's Gulf of Tonkin incident. Most thinking individuals know that if there were WMD they would have been used against the American invasion or by the remnants + al Queda + Jihadists + occupational citizens of Iraq long before now. Certainly there is no lack of bomb making materials.
My solution? Get the hell out...let them slaughter each other until a dictator or religious leader arises then make a trade agreement with them for their oil.

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
That would be too easy and make far too much sense Etou. A surge only postpones the inevitable.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I think the dictator idea is a good one, after all it's been tried and true--Saddam, Qaddafi, Noriega, Pinochet, etc.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shucks Hippie...we deal with family dictators all the time. Most of the mid-east is dictatorships run by families but we put a softer sounding name Monarchy on it. Human rights in Saudi Arabia or Libya is nothing to write home to mom about.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
I left out the Shah...Papa Doc, Baby Doc, the Greek Colonels, Marcos, Suharto--and as you say, then there are the Royal families.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup but when Saudi Arabia feels threatened by Saddam (a nut case for sure..attacked Iran and Kuait but backed by Bush Sr and Rummie) suddenly we get alllll concerned with WMD, al Queda sleeping with Saddam, the old issue of Saddam bumping off the pesky Kurds. The ditto-heads do what they are told...the Demo's don't ck out Bush's intelligence (oxymoron) and vote to go wipe out Saddam.....well folks..he's dead, kaput, under dirt lets pick up our ball and go home.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Democrats represent about 40% of all Americans. However, the poll I saw this morning claimed that 61% of Americans were not in favor of GW's plan. So it appears that it is not just the democrats that are agin it.
You missed the point entirely.

·
Registered
672 Posts
20,000 more troops into that quagmire is spitting in the ocean. Etou is absolutely right--what unites the insurgency is our presence. Sending these troops only postpones the inevitable--they obviously are not going to stay in those neighborhoods for ever, and when they leave, the same sectarian hatred will cause the situation to reoccur. The shia-sunni-kurd hatred runs so deep that the only solution to Iraq is either a 3-way split or one powerful group subjugating the other two (what the shia's are trying to do now.) Saudi Arabia has already said that it will monetarily and militarily suported the Sunni insurgency over an overtly shia dominated Iraqi government. It's an absolute quagmire--we should bring our men and women home and let the Iraqi's figure it out themselves. There's plenty of oil to be had from other sources.....

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I for one do not give a bovine feces module who wants to stay in Iraq. I do not play ditto-head to democrats nor to republicans. A democrat did not make the speech last night and that is the title of this thread....not to be confused with Fritzers endless attempts to divert the attention of threads to his favorite subject...Dem Bashing...even when he gets confused as to which Dem to bash:D

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
SSDD

Bush Bashing..........

Do the above comments surprise anyone? The Dems. and liberal press were bashing before the Presidents address, are bashing now, and will be bashing whatever the direction is in the future.

Seems the only positions that don't get bashed are those that sabotage the war on terrorism.

We won the military campaigns almost immediately, we win every firefight we enter immediately.

Why is it that so many want so badly to loose?

Is it so that we have to revisit Iraq like we are now in Somalia?????

The rules of engagemant issue was RIGHT ON!

Securing Bagdad is RIGHT ON!

Those poo pooing the surge were largely those crying for more troops last month.

gofigure

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is only too easy to catch people's attention by doing or saying something worse than anyone else has stooped so low as to do or say before

·
Registered
14,877 Posts
Pelosi Threatens Symbolic Vote on Bush Iraq Plan
by Scott Ott

(2007-01-11) - In an early display of her newly-acquired political power, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi threatened today to stage a symbolic vote on a non-binding resolution rejecting President George Bush's plan to send more troops to Iraq and endorsing a strategic withdrawal.

"We're going to stand up to the president," said Rep. Pelosi, D-CA. "We're going to tell Bush that he can't just do whatever he wants without facing the symbolic wrath of the American people as expressed through the non-binding words of their representatives."

The Speaker said she would call the full House to order, and take two votes.

"I'll ask those who oppose the president's troop surge to raise their right hands," she said, "and those who favor rapid withdrawal of U.S. forces to raise their left hands as well."

White House spokesman Tony Snow, when asked for Mr. Bush's reaction to the vote, said simply, "Sounds like a photo op."

Scrappleface.com

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
Similar margins oppose abortion and gay rights. And yet the lefties don't give in. Why not?

1 - 20 of 238 Posts