Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out bow hunting last night. It was a little breezy so it was hard to listen for movement with all of the leaves and nuts falling to the ground. About an hour before sundown a 6 pointer sneaks up on me. I stood up when he went behind a tree but he then changed directions on me and came literally right under me. I didn't have much cover to hide the drawback and he spooked when I did. He ran off about sixty yards. I grunted to him and he came back to me. This time he approached the same way but didn't change directions. I stood up when he was behind a tree and drew back as he crossed another tree but this time he stopped with only his head sticking out. His body was hidden by the two trees. He could sense that something wasn't quite right. He stood there for about five minutes. By that time my arm was shaking soo bad that I had to left off and away he goes.

As I am sitting there cursing myself, another one sneaks in from the opposite side. I stood up and drew the bow when he snuck behind a tree. When I shot I heard a loud clank. There was a log behind where the buck was standing. My arrow was sitting on the ground on the opposite side of the log. It looked like there was blood on the arrow but I couldn't tell. I thought I might have missed and hit the log but in the back of my mind I was hoping that the sound was from the deer's hoof when he jumped the log. Now I am in a little predicatment b/c I didn't want to wait too long to try and track him when it was pitch balck but if i missed I didn't want to waste the remainder of hunting time by getting down from the stand. Well I got down and there was absolutely nothing on the arrow. I completely wiffed. Well I spent the remainder of the time hunting on the ground but didn't see anything else.

Well better luck next time

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
That's pretty bad, but nothing is worse than drawing on a deer and having another deer you didn't even see blow your cover[smile]

don't worry borther, it'll get better. good luck

·
Registered
368 Posts
Bow hunting is a challenge. I'm hunting black powder this week. Last year I drew on a doe and shot under her. She ran off. I climbed down and picked up the arrow and as I'm climbing back up the tree and into my tree stand she comed back by me because another hunter I could hear off in the trees had scared her back to me. But I couldn't get another shot at her.
Shawn

·
Registered
166 Posts
Boy have I been there!!! I drew on a huge six point a couple of years back only to get busted by a whopper of a ten pt that was even closer than the six. Never got a shot at either after that. Sucks, but thats what makes it a challenge.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess that is why it is called hunting and not killing. I actually only started bow hunting last year. I went two for three last year but it seems like this year is a rocky start. Either way just being in the woods or in a duck blind is better than any day at work.

For you more experienced deer hunters, does calling and grunting really work or is it a way just to spend more money?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I get busted a few times every year, thats just the way archery go's! thats why it feels so good when you're standing over a dead critter with your bow in your hand [grin] shoot if it were rifle season up here in NY I would have filled out a few deer tags plus a bear tag by now!! David

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Like I said in another post, movement #1, scent #2, sound #3.

I must have missed something because I didn't read anything that said another deer busted you, just the one you were trying for. My experience has always been (UNFORTUNATELY i have to say it has happened to me more than once) that once a deer busts you even if he or she comes back, they are twice as alert to your presence and more likely to duck, not jump, the string.

Bow hunting's tough, that's half the fun. I read an article in outdoor life 20 years ago that said that one beauty of bow hunting is all of the deer you get to see. It didn't really say a whole lot about how many you get to kill. I have learned more about how they react to different things from bowhunting than any other form. It's very interseting to sit and watch them at 40 or 50 yards and what they do when the wind blows, when a squirrel barks or jumps, when a limb falls out of a tree, etc. It helps you to learn what you can or can't get away with.

EHOIV, calls definitely have their place and time. I personally have had more success with a grunt tube than wih scents. Primarily because I prefer to go as scent free as possible. The grunt tubes do work just be careful about using them and when. Be VERY subtle if the deer are close, as they know exactly where that sound is coming from and they pretty much know that deer don't hang in trees, even though some hunters think the orange ones do.

Good Luck. Getting close enough for the shot is the first step to success.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chris,

I was busted twice by the first deer. And he was alot more alert the second time he came around. He sensed something was not right and just stood there sniffing the air and waiting for me to screw up which I did. I just wiffed the second deer.

Like I said in the beginning of the post, I am just a beginner to the bowhunting thing but actually like it alot more that using a muzzleloader or shotgun. It is definately more challenging and enjoyable. They make you work more for it versus just pulling a trigger. Don't get me wrong I am not bagging on the other forms of hunting but I have come to get more satisfaction in killling a deer with a bow.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nothing new there. I once got busted because they heard my jacket rub my shirt when I drew back the arrow. All the while there were plenty of "neighborhood sounds"(kids screaming and playing, dogs barking, cars, etc.) only 100 yards away. Never underestimate your quarry.

Rules I learned the hard way:

1. Never move unless they are moving or head down eating.
2. Always use scent control (because there is always one that is going to come up from behind... Murphy's Law)
3. Never draw on an alert deer, but if it is too late aim a little low because their first move is down, before jumping.
4. Always assume you are being watched, move your body/head verrryyy slowly and try to only move your eyes.
5. 1/2 hour before dark I am standing at the ready with bow in hand, release hooked up.

It ain't the last deer you'll spook and miss. You'll get him next time. Good luck!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never thought about the aiming low thing. Makes sense though when you think about it. I will be at it again this evening and tomorrow morning. I know there is one out in the woods with my name on it this season.

Hell, I need to fill up my freezer b/c I just closed on a house and can't afford the grocery store anymore.

Good luck to everyone going this weekend,
Ed[smile]

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,056 Posts
There is a lot of good advise here. Always remember 2 deer is 4 eyes watching and they are smart (head bobs faking out the potential danger) I NEVER draw until a deers full head is behind a tree or cover and I pick a shooting lane and draw near that spot to keep movement low as possible. When drawing dont like some hunters point up in the air and then down ( too much going on there ) pull straight back towards youer shooting lane when a deers head is consealed. I always try the best I can to keep an eye on all deer in the herd to just because one is there to bust you.

Finaly...It never fails that a deer will stop with every tree in the woods covering just its vitals when your ready to shoot and just there until you want to give up...Practice during the summer just holding your draw it WILL pay off!!!! Jason Good luck

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, all of the advice paid off this past Friday. I ended up shooting a large doe so atleast my freezer won't be empty this winter. I saw two big bucks crossing the creek about 100yds away but they headed out in the opposite direction. I will try for them again later this week before the woods start filling up with muzzleloaders.

Thanks for all the advice,
Ed

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had a nice buck that ducked the string this year. He was already spooked because he busted me before I saw him. I was actually checking on two other deer and when I turned he was there. We cat and moused for 5 minutes before I got bow in hand and drew. He was 30 yards out and when I released he ducked. Seem to be 8-10 inches but the arrow still caught him but a none lethal hit, high in the loins. He was harvested about 2 weeks later by another hunter, the buck was fine.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
EHOIV,I thought I read busted by the same one twice and then the woops.

Oh well , you made up for it. Like I said, if they come back they are going to be twice as jittery, always aim a little lower on the second opportunity.

Glad you got one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
EHOIV,

Last Saturday evening I had a similar situation where I was a bit unsure if my arrow hit the spot on a nice doe. However, after the doe bound off about 40 yards, I lost sight of her and the panic of missing or worse yet injuring (non-lethal) the deer set in. The doe came running to within 10 yards of my stand, when I let the arrow fly. The arrow hit with that distinct hallow thud sound, which led me to believe my arrow hit it's mark. Then it hit me, use the binoculars to look for the arrow. this revealed an entire blood soaked arrow! Pass-thru.

Moral of the story, use your binoculars to look for signs of a solid hit, before you consider getting down from your stand oafter you release a shot.

Keep at it, the rut is upon us....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts