Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
What the heck is a butterfly jig?

On a jigging related subject, does anyone use "assist hooks" they look like a tangles waiting to happen.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Bought a couple for offshore jigging. With the hooks they are pushing $30. No way would I slide that down near a wreck. I bet they would work good though.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
have used the BPS brand with good luck on big blue fish jigging in about 60ft of water off ocean city for blues, they were out catching every thing we used but never caught a striper on it,while diamond jigs and bucktails were catching stripers,just one of those things I guess,may have been working to fast for the stripers....

·
Registered
322 Posts
They will work but are far too expensive. I've fished the wrecks for years with large diamond jigs and it is just devastating on the big sea bass, tile fish, grouper, snapper and amberjack. They all nail it. We replace the trebles with a large single stainless hook and then fish squid strips as a trailer and it will usually outfish bait 5 to 1. Fishing braid i rarely lose them because the big diamonds are getting expensive too.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
boaters world sells a version made by willamson for 5 bucks

bought one but havent used it yet

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got back from Key West where they used butterfly jigs for mackeral. Did so good that I bought jigs there and brought back here. Tried them, 3 weeks ago, casting into birds busting and picked up a few stripers. I may try them in a troll spread? The Shimano rods, Trevala series, used for butterfly jigging are great also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts