Tidal Fish Forum banner

Buying a boat

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  JimRockfish 
#1 ·
I am considering buying a Bayliner 2452 and would like any input that I can get as this will be my first boat and I am searching the pros and cons of this model boat. Any input will be much appreciated. Here is a link to the actual boat I am going to look at so please feel free to tell me what you think of it.

Boating & Fishing Forum - 1996 Bayliner 2452 w/trailer! - $7,950!!!

Thank you for your input.

#2 · (Edited)
I'm not an I/O fan because they take up room and a little more work to maintain but that's what these come with, they are efficient and it looks like a fair deal. Bayliner is entry-level but it would probably be a nice first boat. How many owners and how many hours on the engine? Are there service records? Is there any hull damage? Get underneath it. It has a nice hardtop, glass.... well protected from the elements. I like walk-arounds (like this) because you can fish comfortably in the elements and keep all of your gear down below. I look at something like this as... if I can run it for 4 years at 2k per year and sell it for 4k.. in 2012 or 13 without any major expenses... it was a good investment (in fun). It's a great size for the Bay and you can go offshore if you pick your days....although you might want to add a kicker on that bracket already provided. Maybe he would throw that in or take 7k since the market is dead. Jim

#5 ·
The boat appears to be a good deal. The new stuff listed is just maintenance stuff so hopefully that means she was maintained properly. It is worth having someone look at it though. A coworker of mine had the same boat and used it A LOT for fishing. I even fished it several times. Negatives for fishing are that it does have a smaller cockpit and there is a low motor box that you can trip over in the boat. It also lacks things like built in fishboxes or livewells but I am not much for them myself as i use coolers and portable livewells. The positives are that the boat offered great protection from the elements and was very economical. The down below amenities for overnighting were great. Only feature it lacked in that regard was that the enclosed head couldnt be used as a shower. Being a Bayliner, they suffer from a poor resale value. This is a huge plus for you buying used. Again, have someone go over the boat with you and good luck!

#6 ·
The boat is 2 owners. The current owner has had it for 8 years and has bought a new bigger boat. It sounds like it has been reasonbly maintained. It has been in slings most of its days. It has ben pulled and winterized each year and for the last 3 years when it was wet berthed it has been pulled and stored for the winter. A portable live well was added and fishboxes "of sorts" were made into the below deck storage lockers on either side of the engine. I have contacted a surveyor to look at the boat. Is $600.00 an average price? He had a 9.9 kicker but sold it. Anyone have an opinion on a good size and make for a kicker? Also, (1st time remember) do you steer with the outdrive while the kicker is running? Obviously, I have no clue!

I know the kicker is backup but some use it for slow trolling as well, right? Maybe I should just get a dingy and see if one of you guys will tow me around!

#9 ·
Surveyor said solid boat. Did the sea trials and it did great with 3 of us aboard. Cold as the blazes but in the cockpit pretty comfortable. Motor cranked first try and it was stone cold. We cruised about an hour at 26-28 knots and everything checked out. Doing the trip to the boat store today. Anyone know of a less expensive store? Would have said cheap but we know that ain't happening.

Now where are the fish?:bigfish: Taking for granted we can launch the boat without sinking or capsizing. Where do I get one of those nifty captains hats the yachting buys and the Skipper (Gilligan's Island) wear? LOL

#11 ·
looks nice. Those 2450 series boats are built to minimum standards. They were alot of bang for the buck and great on the rivers and nice days on the bay. They cannot take a beating and looking at that kicker mount it appears you need a wet suit to get out of the boat and start it. That or 6 foot long arms. I own a Bayliner. An entry level boat in my opinion. But then again, I've had it 12 years!

#12 ·
Took it out for a run in the James today for a little jigging at the JRB and to see if it would handle the chop today. It did well once I got used to trimming the drive and using the trim tabs. It handled flawlessly even did a little dead reckoning on the return while i got the GPS screen off of depth/fish finder and back to my chart plots. No fish but it was worth it to get used to the new boat. I've been in the bay on boats for years but in my boat it was a hoot.

Going back out Sunday for some fish this time. MMBT or HRBT? Any opinions. Not trying the CBBT yet. Baby boat steps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.