Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove down Thursday morning and launched the boat about 6:30. The tide was extremely high and we had to climb UP into the boat. SSE wind about 5-8 Knots and almost flat seas -- water temp 63, Good numbers all around. Headed out to 72 and set the lines --10 in all using the planer boards. Started marking bait right from the start and first fish in the box, nice 37" by 8AM. Kept zig-zag pattern between 72 and 72A for about an hr when 2nd hit came. Real nice 40" fish CRUSHED and white 6-way umbrella with a ruby-lip parachute on the outside planner board line. Two more smaller hits, One in the 26" throwback and another 31". This is where getting greedy spanked us. We decided to release the 31 in hopes of a better 3rd and last fish.
MISTAKE ---- 3rd fish never showed.
Heard the radio traffic that things were "HOT" at the #7 Buoy in the Potomac so we picked up and ran into an increasing SE wind, Bumpy ride that after about and 1.5 hr troll turned up nothing. Back to the dock, dinner and about 4 Margaritas.
Friday morning was a very different story with the wind. SE about 10-15 when we came out of St. Jeromes creek with the wind right into our face. We ran out to the lighthouse and set 6 lines and left the boards in the boat. Trolled for about 1hr when the first fish hit and boated an 34" Not huge but meat in the box. Winds kept increasing but strangely not many whitecaps. Sometimes we had wave in the 3 ft range and occasionally took a splash over the nose of my 23' Grady. Second fish came on a downwind turn and put another 32 in the box. The water seemed to be getting rougher and one of the crew not doing so well after the Margaritas -- Headed back to the dock and the water was so high at the gas pump dock that the boat almost was able to set ON the dock rather then beside it.
Overall. not a killer day and 1/2 of fishing but had a great time despite the wind and choppy seas.
Thanks again to Mike and Christie -- Always good to see and talk with the two of you.

·
Registered
Koah Roller Speargun, 100 Euro
2,937 Posts
I am also guilty of letting that final fish go in hopes of a better fish. Sometimes it works and sometimes I doesn't but does keep you working until the very end. Great report....Don

1 - 4 of 4 Posts