Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing the C&R season since it opened, and as long as it is open I will fish it. But I will never use bait, and I can't really put my finger on exactly why. Maybe it's just my ingrained fishing philosophy that I don't understand why DNR allows bait fishing during the C&R season. Aside from marlin, I can't think of any other C&R fishery that allows bait. It seems to me that in targeting fish for sport, the selection of the correct size, shape, action, etc of the lure is as big part of the fishing as the actual catching of the fish. For me, the "sport" of catching a fish is diminished when a stinky chunk of bait goes on the hook.

·
Premium Member
26,252 Posts
If the water is real cold and/or muddy-lure fishing is tough.The bait MUST be used with circle hooks-this helps prevent gut hooking.Lures are more fun but catching a fish or two is why most of us go. :yes: Skip

·
Registered
72 Posts
MdAnglerBart - I agree with you, it certainly is more enjoyable to me at least to use artificials and be actively involved in the fishing/catching process. I just wish there was a way to better enforce the "gap 1/2" or more, must use non-offset circle hooks" to those that do fish bait. Have you ever seen a DNR check someone's hook who is using bait?

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Last year, during the C& R season on the flats, according to the DNRP, there was 100% complieance with circle hooks by bait users. This, of course, is from the boats & fishermen that were checked.

There are studies that show that circle hooks with bait has a lower mortality rate than artificial lures.

Most folks prefer lures, but when the water is so muddy, as it has been this spring, you cannot catch them.

Mike has people booked from far away places, that travel here to fish with him. Without using bait, there trip would be for nothing.

Ele

·
Registered
317 Posts
I too would rather fish with lures, but there is something to be said for the adrenaline rush that comes when the rod tip bends real quick a couple times and the drag starts singing.:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts