Tidal Fish Forum banner

C Skiff DLV ----- sport fishing article

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Jim Bright 
#1 ·
Read an article in sport fishing mag last week about the Carolina Skiff DLV (http://www.carolinaskiff.com/index2.htm).

The author praised the hull, but I wonder at what point these articles start to be one sided...especially if C Skiff happens to advertise with sport fishing.

Not trying to knock the author or the mag (I'm a subscriber), just wondering if anyone else out there has been on the DLV and what your thoughts are on it.

Thanks

#3 ·
Hi Jim--

In Miami in Feb., I ran the same boat that Dean Clarke did. It's for real, though the twin 90 Suzukis were overkill. It's no high-speed offshore rig, but it handled well at moderate speeds 15-25) in a nasty 2-3' chop kicked up by other powerboats and jetskis. It behaved a lot like an overgrown version of my Montauk. I was impressed. My test (no ads involved) is in the June issue of BOATING.

Best, JPW

#5 ·
Hey again, Big Jim--

It balanced fine (remember that it's 25' long), but a single 135-150 would have been plenty. The 21 & 23 DLV's are the same hull, shortened. I wonder how the 23 would run w/ a strong 115 like the Suzuki or the new Merc 4-stroke EFI. Are you thinking of buying one?

An alternative is the 22' V-bottom Sundance, which should run great w/ a 115. I'm planning to run one sometime next month. Want to come w/ me?

Best, JPW

#6 ·
JP --

I bought a house this past winter (just outside of Salisbury). Next on my list is a bigger boat -- hopefully this coming winter. My 16' skiff just doesn't cut it anymore, but at least it's easy on fuel, and my wallet.

I keep a short list of hulls I like ....

1 - Parker 21 or 23 SE

2 - JB Cape (CD is selling his but I'm not ready yet)

3 - Steiger Long Beach (never been on one of these but have talked to the folks at Steiger and noticed you have a piece on their website. I need to sea trial one soon.)

4 - C-hawk (They're affordable)

5 - C-skiff DLV (?)

Don't know much about that other hull you mentioned but would definitely love to get out on it with you....let me know what day you have in mind and I'll see if I can swing it.

Take care...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.