Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about Cabela's Outfitter Series PL- 1 and 1.5 bows?

PL-1.5
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/horizontal-item.jsp?id=0026286416426a&navCount=2&podId=0026286&parentId=cat600266&navAction=push&cmCat=MainCatcat21424&catalogCode=IF&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat600266&hasJS=true

PL-1
http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat21424&rid=&indexId=cat600266&navAction=push&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat600266&id=0033084

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I would find out who makes them, and base your decision on that.

11 years ago I bough a bow from Cabela's that was being made by and sold through the PSE company and I think was called a "Fireflight". When I went to get a new string put on it I was told that this was not a normal PSE model and that it was probably a model developed specifically for Cabela's. I didn't at the time and still don't have any issues with that.

I still hunt with that bow, it performs flawlessly (even when I don't). I only say this because somebody is making the bows for Cabela's and you need to find out who that is.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Everybody has one but IMHO, you can't go wrong with PSE. Like I said 11th season and still shooting -2" groups at 30 yards when I'm on. Shooting carbons, with expandables and a whisker biscuit.

PS, Clubs (UBBB) do have their place, some join and some don't that's the beauty of America, and it's good when you try to keep a good rep for useful information like this[grin]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Get one that suits your needs.

I have been looking for a month now and haven't heard anything bad about PSE. Then again, I haven't heard anything extraordinary about them either. Of course, when you go to the archery forums, all of the bow afficianados like the Hoyt/Bowtech/Matthews. They seem quite loyal to their particular brands, in fact they usually bash the other brands - so getting an unbiased opinion is tough.

I am getting the new 06 Bowtech Tribute. It was a tough decision, because the other bows (Trykon and Switchback XT are so nice too). However, the Trykon was hard to draw and the Switchback was a bit slower than the other two...

Make sure you shoot the bow before buying and try to talk to others that have the same bow. In other words, do some research and you will end up with a nice bow for the next 10+ years.

Good luck!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The nice thing about his bow is that you can try it out for 30 days and if you dont like it you can send it back. What is the retail cost of that tribute? That is one sweet looking bow!!!!!!!!!!!![excited]

·
Registered
142 Posts
The new tribute is $699 "naked". The Mathews and Hoyt equivalents are about $50 bucks more.

I spend more time Bow hunting than any other hunting, so I figue my Bow should cost more than my rifle! Crazy Logic but it works for me and Santa!

[excited] I won't be able to get it outfitted fast enough.

Anybody want a proven Hoyt "Raptor" Compound Bow? Shoots fast and straight for a ten year old bow. Never missed a deer (well except for that first one where I tried to finger shoot him... heck, I'll throw in the release)

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
There was avery good article on Bowhunting about a year ago. In it they compared what they considered there best buys and overall best bows. They were using speed and NOISE as the biggest factors for testing.

Let's get one thing straight. A deer at 30 yards is unable to compensate for 10 or 15 additional 10-15 FPS. Their reflexes are not that good!!!!!!!!!!! In other words whether you ar shooting 300 or 310, that deer is just as dead. High speed bows are for competition purposes and for bragging purposes among mnufacturers. It will shoot a little flatter but that 's about it, maybe a little more penetration, A LITTLE. That's like saying that a full size pickup truck is best because it has 325 HP instead of 300, at that point WHO CARES????

One of the highest rated bows in the above test was the Reflex Grizzly for $300 stripped it was among the quietest, cheapest and easily kept pace speed wise and earned the writers best buy award easily outdoing some of the PSE, Martin, Hoyt etc. Especially in thenoise dept. Most deer will duck the arrow beacuse they hear the shot and react to it, not because of the speed of the arrow. Although yes the faster the arrow gets there , even if it is noisy, the less time for reaction. My point is this, keep the bow quiet and he won't know the arrow is coming.

Try searching for Bow performance tests, or something like that and try to get some hard numbers for the areas that are really important. Cosmetics and speed not ranking too high.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Well said DW. You should always buy a bow that is within your price range and suits your needs. With that said, the Reflex Grizzly is a good bow, but I was looking for a shorter bow. The Grizzly has a 38" Axel to Axel whereas the Tribute was 31". As far as noise is concerned, I doubt it is quieter than the Tribute, but I could be wrong. Additionally, the Tribute has Modular Cams that you can change from Smooth to Fast and an adjustable draw length. (I opted for the smooth cams) I also wanted a shorter bow that would still give me the FPS and forgiveablility of longer bow. The three I mentioned were the top contenders that I could afford.

I spend a lot of time bowhunting and the 06 Tribute has everything I was looking for. If I was on a budget I would not even buy another bow. I certainly don't need one, but you know how feeding a passion is...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts