Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a quick question about a Shimano Calcutta 201 B I purchased a week or so ago. When I tighten the drag all the way down I can still peel line off the reel. Its not exactly easy to pull line off but I can with say 7.5 out of 10 force. This concerns me a little since the reel is brand new. Does anyone know if this is normal or can I make a drag adjustment inside the reel. Thanks for the help- you guys always come thru.

Dave

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I've been known to tighten a drag down :D and can tell you - the newer drag material is very slippery.This makes it tough to "lock" a drag down.The older reels could be locked down tight enough to snap rods :innocent:.

You can add 1-2 fiber washers to the stack- this will allow the knob to get more threads.

My newer Penns will not lock down - I tighten the knob way past normal setting but it still gives line- although it takes a good strain to do it.

Using heavy braid on light reels also causes troubles.

If you are set on locking the drag- you can remove the washer stack and lightly rough up the fiber washers.This will give it a sticky type drag - might bite you in the butt though on a beast.

·
Registered
626 Posts
That's a tiny little reel.. Tough but only rated at 8 - 14 lb test. Given it's a Calcuta I'd think the drags are fine. My small 200 GTB's will not lock down.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Dave - I'm using a Calcutta 200 series right now. I stripped the drag out of my Revo so it's in the shop but I like using the Calcutta almost as well. Better caster than the Revo but a little heavier. They won't lock down but full drag is just about right for 10-15 pound test braid. You can still land a 50 pounder with it. I pull the star back just a little when jigging, especially heavier jigs because I really snap 'em and it creates a lot of force if I snap into a big fish. But if I get a heavy one on it's easy to lock it on down with a quarter turn with one finger. I like it that way because I don't ever have to worry about applying too much drag.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
If you are using no-stretch line, are you sure that the line isn't revolving on the spool?

I use a wrap of electrical tape on the spool, others use a bit of monofilament, then load the superline.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
If you are using no-stretch line, are you sure that the line isn't revolving on the spool?

I use a wrap of electrical tape on the spool, others use a bit of monofilament, then load the superline.
:thumbup:

yep, check how it's attached to the spool, braid will slip around a spool easily if it doens't have masking or electrical tape around it or a backing of mono.

TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help guys.. the only reason I was really concerned is because my Diawa 253 LA is almost the exact same reel but it will lock down.

Skip- I will take my computer, car or boat engine apart and put back together but I wont open up my brand new Calcutta - no way:eek: Im scared:D

Barefoot and Dirty Frank- the reel is backed with mono and i checked for slipping but its definitely the drag. I will remember the tape idea though thanks:thumbup:

Shawn- I really like the reel- it caught plenty of fish last week with Captain Kyle however the "loose" drag concerns me come CBBT time. But if you say yours does not lock down either maybe its just me worrying about nothing. I have it spooled with 20lb power pro- maybe I should go to 10 or 15.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I got curious and looked up the reel. Assuming the line isn't slipping the drag max is 11 pounds. About the most you want for 10 or 15 pound test mono is 5 pounds or less. A good general rule is to set the drag to one third the strength of the line. With braid, you can get away with more assuming you're tying good knots, etc. Ref. my earlier post, I'm probably over-taxing the line by cranking it all the way down sometimes, but it gets the fish in the boat and I don't usually have break-offs.

Oh yeah, remember, when you're pulling out line by hand against the drag, it's coming right off the spool in a straight line. That happens sometimes when fighting a fish, but in most real-life situations you're absorbing some of the shock with a bent rod. You can test your drag with a regular spring scale. Have someone hold your outfit at a 45 degree angle, attach the scale to the line and pull down. What the scale reads when the drag starts to slip will be pretty close to your actual drag setting.

This only applies to light tackle fishing, I don't know much about drag ratios and optimum strengths for trolling outfits.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got curious and looked up the reel. Assuming the line isn't slipping the drag max is 11 pounds. About the most you want for 10 or 15 pound test mono is 5 pounds or less. A good general rule is to set the drag to one third the strength of the line. With braid, you can get away with more assuming you're tying good knots, etc. Ref. my earlier post, I'm probably over-taxing the line by cranking it all the way down sometimes, but it gets the fish in the boat and I don't usually have break-offs.

Oh yeah, remember, when you're pulling out line by hand against the drag, it's coming right off the spool in a straight line. That happens sometimes when fighting a fish, but in most real-life situations you're absorbing some of the shock with a bent rod. You can test your drag with a regular spring scale. Have someone hold your outfit at a 45 degree angle, attach the scale to the line and pull down. What the scale reads when the drag starts to slip will be pretty close to your actual drag setting.

This only applies to light tackle fishing, I don't know much about drag ratios and optimum strengths for trolling outfits.
Shawn- thanks for looking into it for me and also for the good info!:clapping2: Looks like the Daiwa 253 has 11 pounds of max drag too but that one will lock down moreso than the Calcutta will. I guess the only way to see for sure is to hook up with a 50lber @ the tunnel.:D The shop where I bought the reel said that the drag washers could be over greased? Does that sound like a possible cause of a slipping drag?

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
Sure- too much grease on the drag washers can cause them not to grip (slip).Might want to take it apart and see if the grease is excessive.If so-wipe it off with a clean rag.

Shawn - trolling reels drags are easy to set - screw them down until something creaks :D.Decent fish will still pull line.

You guys with them tiny reels and big fish crack me up :D:D:D.How the hell can you eat a donut if you need both hands to reel in a fish :pp:pp.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I think you can over grease them, but I would think they're greased that way from the factory on purpose. Greased washers result in lower startup resistance, not a bad thing. I bet your drag actually gets tighter if you pull it far enough to simulate the run of a fish. There's some real reel pros on here that will hopefully come around to this thread.

I just picked up my 200 GTB, cranked down the drag all the way, and pulled on the line. I can pull it but it's not easy. I tried my 200 B and it's a little easier, but not much. I also almost cut my finger which makes me wonder what size line you're using. You might want to move to a 400 if you're using 20lb or higher. I really don't think you have a problem with your reel.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just took the reel apart and wiped a little bit of grease off the drag washers. It seemed to do nothing. When the drag is cranked down all the way it is at about where I would normally like to fish. If I back it off JUST A HAIR it comes pretty loose. Its hard to explain over the computer but it doesn't feel right.

I am using 20lb power pro on this reel. Maybe I should drop to 10 or 15 if I get it replaced. I have it on a 6'6 Medium Heavy Fast Action. Lure wt 3/8 - 1oz. Rated for 10-20lb line.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I'd call Jerry Sersen at Reel Perfection (located at Bluefins in Dundalk). He is a Shimano guru and can help you out with your question.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
CTB- thanks for your help. Is Jerry kind of a sub-contractor for Brian at Bluefins? I didn't know they worked together. I go to Bluefins all the time to buy bullhead minnies.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Push comes to shove you havent had the reel that long return it and get another one. If the tackle shop wont do this then contact Shimano directly. You can get the exact info off the Shimano web site , talk to theyre repair people and see what they have to say. I had a reel that was six years old with good use on the bay. gave them a call sent it back and they sent me a new reel. They tell you allow 8 weeks for the turn around but I Fed Exd mine and had it back in 3 weeks. That kind of service has me only wanting to by Shimano

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Get a spring or drag scale and give us the readings and we can go from there. there is no way to tell if there is a problem without a benchmark scale reading.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Spy - yes - Jerry has some space in the back of the store where he repairs reels. He knows Calcuttas.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts