Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
o.k, finally i'm reading Moby Dick, WTF is melville talking about.

is this old english

does the book get better, does it really deserve to be a clasic.

the 1st 40 pages sure dont hold my attention.

G

·
As Kelly Bundy once said:

"I've been reading Moby Dick for two hours, and I have one question... Call *who* Ishmael"

Read "Two Years Before The Mast" by Richard Henry Dana instead. You'll get the flavor without the unbearable read.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
[Q]rbr originally wrote:
Pay attention. It's the Greatest American Novel Ever Written
IMHO

Bert
[/Q]???? For that to be true, Melville would have to be the greatest American writer. Don't think so.

·
Registered
14,163 Posts
"Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can."

G

·
I always assumed that those who have suffered through Moby Dick have to claim some benefit from having endured the punishment and universally proclaim its wonderfulness. I prefer not to read Moby Dick, Bartleby The Scrivener was bad enough.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
After being forced through it in college I took to rereading
it the following summer. And have done so every 5 years or so
since.

From Starbuck the everyman to the forces that compel Ahab
to the terrify reality of man's folly, in the end it's...........

Pretty cool

Bert

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now the book

"In the heart of the Sea" the tragedy of the whaleship Essex

by Nathaniel Philbrick is one hecht of a read.

these guys were stuck in a whale boat for 2.5 mounths.

Freaking exciting book.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
[Q]Chumbucket originally wrote:
Try the Sot Weed Factor by John Barth...Southern Maryland will make more sense...
[/Q]

Funny you should mention Barth. My mother gave me a box
of books she was getting rid of and it has a copy of
"Tidewater Tales" which I intend to read after I finish
the Thomas Cahill book I'm reading now.

Bert

·
Registered
775 Posts
Stick with it and it will get much better. The whaling parts are really interesting, or at least I thought so. It has been a long time since I read the book, probably 20 years, but I enjoyed it. In fact it has been long enough that I don't remember much of it and might try reading it again.

·
Registered
166 Posts
In the heart of the Sea" the tragedy of the whaleship Essex is the story that Melville heard while whaling in the S. Pacific. From that account he wrote "MOBY DICK."

NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
hmm, yer probly a dumass and Moby Dick also sucks. Chum, I have tried mightily with John Barth, and JESUS CHRIST! Thomas Pynchon is a page turner in comparison.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts