Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not every fishing expedition is successful. My son, his friend, and I fished at Calvert Cliffs on Sunday May 31st. We arrived at 8:30am to an outgoing tide. We used to bottom rigs with cut bait and 2 with blood worms. My son and his friend then fished with different types of lures. After 5 hours and a couple of hours of the incoming tide, we gave up. We didn't get a single bite. Fortunately it was a nice day, so we got to enjoy some time on the Calvert Cliffs State Park beach and look out over the Bay.

Perhaps we're a little early? Anyone having any luck shore-fishing on the bay? If so, where and wait bait? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Hello wshr and welcome to the board. I see this is your first post. Please introduce yourself to the members and give us an idea of your fishing experience. For instance, do you own a boat? what kind of boat? what's your biggest fish? etc., etc. Maybe a little something about what you do and how you found out about TF.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Not every fishing expedition is successful. My son, his friend, and I fished at Calvert Cliffs on Sunday May 31st. We arrived at 8:30am to an outgoing tide. We used to bottom rigs with cut bait and 2 with blood worms. My son and his friend then fished with different types of lures. After 5 hours and a couple of hours of the incoming tide, we gave up. We didn't get a single bite. Fortunately it was a nice day, so we got to enjoy some time on the Calvert Cliffs State Park beach and look out over the Bay.

Perhaps we're a little early? Anyone having any luck shore-fishing on the bay? If so, where and wait bait? Thanks!
Shore fishing on the bay is pretty hard for the following reasons:

1. lack of access
2. due to lack of access, there is a lack of shoreline anglers
3. shallow water- not always unproductive but the inability to cover water in shallow water limits you

I managed to have private access to shoreline along the bay. There should be some white perch this time of the year on bloodworms. You might be a bit early for the bottom fishing bite this year.
Right when trophy season starts, there will be some large stripers that cruise shallows and can be caught on bloodworms.

peeler crabs- supposedly the best bait around but rather pricey
bloodworms-pricey as well, everything will eat them
other bait options: menhaden, cut spot, squid

I have quit fishing the Severn until I get further reports of bottom fish.

locations from shoreline: Sandy Point State Park, Jonas Green Park

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have been following the tidalfish.com website for a few years. I have been fishing with my teenage son for about 8 years. We frequented Jonas Green Park for a while, but the last 2 years have been horrible. We've also fished Mattapeake and Romancoke. Mattapeake was hit or miss, but have been miss several times in a row dating back, again, about 2 years. Talking to regulars, that seems to be the case for a lot of people. Romancoke is too crowded.

We do not own a boat. It's on our wish list, but a younger daughter who battled cancer for several years (and is fine now, 2 years post-chemo) pretty much tapped all of our money, and now our older daughter who goes to college in 2 years, which will tap all of my future money, a boat is not a realistic or wise way for us to spend money at this point. <sigh> But I can dream! Once last year I struck up a conversation with 2 guys refueling at Sandy Point Park. They then offered to take us out on the bay on their boat when we were finishing up volunteering at an event at the park. As you can imagine, that was amazing.

We fished at Calvert Cliffs last year in late September and did okay. We fish at Ocean City once per year as a treat and we do okay, catching small sea bass, the occasional small striper, flounder, croaker, or blue fish. I once caught a 20 inch red drum off of the Route 50 bridge. My biggest fish is a 36 inch dolphin fish caught as a guest on a charter fishing trip to the Baltimore canyon(?) off of Ocean City. My son is much better at fishing. He seems to catch 20 fish for every one that I catch. He understands fishing better than me and can often read the water. His trophy catch is an Atlantic sharp nose shark that he caught in Sarasota, Florida. He has also caught large carp in Liberty Reservoir in Carroll County and very nice large mouth bass at Piney Run Park.

To add spice to our fishing experience, we set a goal to fish in every county in Maryland. We have 5 to go: Charles, Caroline, Kent, Somerset, and Dorchester. We went snakehead fishing in Prince George's County last weekend at Bladensburg Waterfront Park on the Anacostia River, but all we caught were a few small white perch. There were several large carp, which I think were spawning.

Well, that's us.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Sounds like you have a wonderful family. I like your goal of fishing in each MD county. Good luck in your quest and hope you and your son catch a big one!

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
good report, regardless of your luck. a little advice to you..... watch geralds' reports. he does all types of feeshing, and good at all of them , to say the least.if you bmail him for locations, I know he will help you out. keep the reports coming, good or bad!~

·
Registered
679 Posts
Welcome and glad to hear your daughter is doing well. Also look for people who have boats and heed help (HO) on certain days.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have been following the tidalfish.com website for a few years. I have been fishing with my teenage son for about 8 years. We frequented Jonas Green Park for a while, but the last 2 years have been horrible. We've also fished Mattapeake and Romancoke. Mattapeake was hit or miss, but have been miss several times in a row dating back, again, about 2 years. Talking to regulars, that seems to be the case for a lot of people. Romancoke is too crowded.

We do not own a boat. It's on our wish list, but a younger daughter who battled cancer for several years (and is fine now, 2 years post-chemo) pretty much tapped all of our money, and now our older daughter who goes to college in 2 years, which will tap all of my future money, a boat is not a realistic or wise way for us to spend money at this point. <sigh> But I can dream! Once last year I struck up a conversation with 2 guys refueling at Sandy Point Park. They then offered to take us out on the bay on their boat when we were finishing up volunteering at an event at the park. As you can imagine, that was amazing.

We fished at Calvert Cliffs last year in late September and did okay. We fish at Ocean City once per year as a treat and we do okay, catching small sea bass, the occasional small striper, flounder, croaker, or blue fish. I once caught a 20 inch red drum off of the Route 50 bridge. My biggest fish is a 36 inch dolphin fish caught as a guest on a charter fishing trip to the Baltimore canyon(?) off of Ocean City. My son is much better at fishing. He seems to catch 20 fish for every one that I catch. He understands fishing better than me and can often read the water. His trophy catch is an Atlantic sharp nose shark that he caught in Sarasota, Florida. He has also caught large carp in Liberty Reservoir in Carroll County and very nice large mouth bass at Piney Run Park.

To add spice to our fishing experience, we set a goal to fish in every county in Maryland. We have 5 to go: Charles, Caroline, Kent, Somerset, and Dorchester. We went snakehead fishing in Prince George's County last weekend at Bladensburg Waterfront Park on the Anacostia River, but all we caught were a few small white perch. There were several large carp, which I think were spawning.

Well, that's us.
I think you can rent a boat at fletchers boat house on the potomac and get to some good blue cat fishing. I am not positive about that though, maybe Bluefish1928 can give a little more info.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have off on Mondays often go by myself would be no problem taking you and your son along sometime. Usually launch at Wye river could either fish or crab . Send me a message sometime.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts