1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from a CBA e-mail;

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
What You Can Do:

1. Sign the petition. If you have signed it, forward it to a neighbor or friend. Ask them to pass it on.

2. Write a letter to the editor about your opposition to the project, and ask elected leaders to listen to the will of the people.

3. Write your local newspaper, and statewide papers, such as the Baltimore Sun and the Washington Post.

4. Stay posted on the
CBF website for upcoming hearing dates and actions to show your opposition.

Last night, the Cambridge Planning and Zoning (P & Z) Commission voted to allow the Blackwater Resort Communities development to go forward.

This is not over. The Chesapeake Bay Foundation and the majority of Dorchester County residents opposing the development need your help. Sign the petition. Attend the upcoming hearings and voice your concern about the project.

The project must still receive additional approvals from the P & Z Commission, the Cambridge City Council, and the Maryland Critical Area Commission.

Although the P & Z commission listed many concerns about the project, including managing chemicals on the golf course, the lack of a watershed study before the project moves forward, and the fact that the developer is the one who will be administering the monitoring study, they did nothing to resolve those concerns.

This development remains the wrong project in the wrong place. The project is a mega-development of 2,700 homes, a golf course, a retail center, a hotel, and a conference center. The developer has committed to monitoring water flow and pollution, but there are no requirements to take action if pollution occurs.

Critical information is still missing, such as stormwater impact and flooding data, what effects it might have on the environment, and an accounting of who will be responsible for paying to correct any damage that may occur.

This project is the wrong project in the wrong place. At the May 23 public hearing, the developer’s attorney said that if the developer discovers problems with the project during construction, the developer has “countless opportunities” to fix them. While this admission of the potential for problems is a bit refreshing, Maryland has only one Blackwater Wildlife Refuge, and there will not be “countless opportunities” to save it once the damage is done.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious as to what you all think about this. If the plan meets all the requirements then how can it be legally stopped? Development is going to happen. I am not familiar with this area but am told it is currently a 1000 acre farm. Farms have the potential (and in many cases do) to contribute huge amounts of pollution also. I guess one question I have is what is the environmental impact of the current farm vs. the projected impact of the development?

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Why should it be stopped if it is legal? CBF had the same opportunity to buy the land as the developer.

From what I know about runoff on planned development, the soil conservation people can monitor and dictate what needs to be in place .

·
Registered
7,539 Posts
I'm not very familiar with this project, but what I've heard (and someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong) is that this project requires a slew of zoning variences, plus approval from the afformentioned commissions, to go foward. If true (and if these variences have not yet been granted...or if they're on appeal), then the development is not legal....not yet.

I think you raise an interesting point about it being a farm. I'm not sure what I think about this project (although I have some misgivings about it), but I'm generally less concerned about farms being developed than I am about the few remaining woods being torn down, such as is occuring slowly but surely in AA County.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts