Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone could give me a good idea on a weekend trip. I am around the Fredericksburg, VA area and have caught a few catfish, croaker, and stripers in the Potomac River and was hoping to try something new. I was thinking about trailering the boat down to a campground somewhere on the Bay and setting up shop for a weekend. I have a 21ft center console with a 200hp Merc pushing it. The boat is a bay boat so I will have to play the wind.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good campground with some good fishing nearby? I have been seeing quite a few facebook posts that the Drum bite is really good right now. However, I have never fished for them and not sure where people are catching them.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
camp at cherrystone on the eastern shore and launch at oyster to fish the seaside--but the water is very very tricky out there and the tides rule.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Hi there. Check out Kiptopeke on the southern end of the Eastern Shore. There is a ramp at the campground and it is a relatively short ride to the Drum grounds right now. Additionally, there are other fishing opportunities very close by including Flounder. Plenty of other attractions nearby and good food as well. Best of Luck when you go!!
http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/kiptopeke.shtml#general_information

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you don't want to make the trek across the CBBT may consider First Landing State Park. Ramp within the park at 64th St for fishing Broad Bay/ Lynnhaven area if the wind is up. Short drive to Bubba's or Crab Creek ramp for easy Ches Bay/ Lynnhaven River access. Also cabins available if your trailering your boat and don't want to tent it. Easy beach access across the dune line for down time.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,293 Posts
+1for Cherrystone. Great place for the family too ..... Lots to do. Campsites are right on the water. Several piers to moor your boat all weekend for free. They have their own ramp for the bay or there is a free ramp that is under used w/gas around 3 miles away in Cape Charles and the famous 36a is directly off Cape Charles. Oyster is less than 5 miles with a free ramp. Oyster is probably the best bet this time of year. I would fish the inlet. Just be careful and follow the markers. Best to come in on high tide because I think they have a 4 ft tide and you can get stranded. There is also a $10 ramp at the National Park right on a channel taking you to the back bays or the bridge if you don't want to risk the narrow channels at oyster.

Check the Fishing report on the Chris's Bait and Tackle and the Cherrystone Campground websites for up to date catch reports. Oh ..... And Cherrystone has it's own Tackle shop and boat rentals too.

You'll probably find most of the fish Oceanside this time of year ....... Probably flounder and reds..

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Kiptopeake State Park is a great campground with a really nice ramp that's close to the Drum grounds and Flounder spots. There's also a good bite on the roundhead right now. Wise Point ramp is just a little further south and on the seaside, and also provides good access to good fishing areas. On your first trip, I'd shy away from Oyster... the waters can be tricky... the old saying is, "It's not IF you run aground, it's WHEN". Right now, the Black Drum and Red Drum are chewing. There's some flounder biting too. We just got back from a 5 day trip to Kiptopeake.. and it was really good drum fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts