Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught this in the Chincoteague inlet and haven't identified it yet. ????? He had plenty of sharp teeth.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Looks like a fine tooth shark if teeth are same on top an bottom they are some feisty guys when you hook them. We set up just off greenback in the bay an slam those in the evening all the time makes you not want to swim in there lol.

·
Premium Member
26,152 Posts
Looks like an Atlantic Sharpnose from your photo.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
googled and wikapedia'd and it appears to be a fine tooth shark. Wish I'd tried to grill it but it 's still growing up

Skip, You might be right. Had some guys on another site also identify it as a fine tooth shark but the similarities are so close it might take a real shark hunter to determine the difference. Notice the difference in coloration of the bottom of the tail fin. I'm familiar with the Atlantic Sharpnose and they are very edible.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Fine tooths are all over that area the sharp nose hand further out. Fine tooth only get about 4 ft. Cut into 1 inch steaks and grill with a splash of lemon juice an pepper very good.I keep 1 or 2 a summer that is quite a few steaks.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The sharpnose sharks usually have some small white spots on the sides. Also the second anal fin in a sharpnose does not align with the second dorsal. In most sharks, the anal fin and second dorsal fin are lined up, one directly above the above the other. However, in the Atlantic Sharpnose shark the anal fin is slightly in front of the second dorsal fin.

In the photo those two fins are aligned so it is not a sharpnose.

http://www.marinesciencecenter.com/Carcharhinidae.htm

·
Registered
375 Posts
Anyone have some good instructions on cleaning and prepping these?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Gut asap then slice tail on both sides let it bleed out. When you get home cut top to bottom in 1" slices then cut skin off steak an cut cartilage out middle. Sprinkle with lemon juice and pepper grill them up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts