Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know what kind of bird they are but do you. Would you shoot this bird if it came into your decoys??

http://images.snapfish.com/345567%3A723232%7Ffp336%3Enu%3D3269%3E5%3A3%3E44%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D323333%3B5%3C7%3B%3A6nu0mrj

·
Banned
859 Posts
.....I don't believe they are Eurasion widgeon. They look nothing like Eurasions, I could be wrong. Not really sure what they are other than some kind of Pochard, whistling/tree duck or a mixed mallard from an RSA. Were they both banded?

...definitely not widgeon, though.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
i saw a species like that on TV but it was found mostly in Europe and Asia.

I believe it was called a Brahminy Duck or a Ruddy Shelduck. I think some have been seen in the upper northwest US but im not sure of anywhere else.

let us know what it is, id like to know for sure.

·
Banned
859 Posts
Good call "mrobertson". I believe your right on!!![smile]

......to answer the question, orginally, I'd have to say since I didn't know what it was, I wouldn't have shot. Not sure you should have....are they legal to hunt here?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We killed 3 of them they are ruddy shelducks they are from mostly middle east area but are found from europe to Asia. When we get hurricanes that go up the north atlantic late in the fall we get some of them every now and then. all three are going to be mounted. and yes they are legal to shoot.

·
Banned
859 Posts
I'm curious, and in no way taking away from your trophies, but what makes you sure you can shoot them? and I ask that for my own personal reasons, in case I for rare chance get to shoot one, and the man stops me...there is nothing in the USFWS catergories or sub-cats, that classify that as a legal harvestable species, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places. Again, I'm only curious to where you got that information from so I can verse myself with other species that may grace me with their presence. Just wanna be on the right side of the law.
Congrats.[smile]

·
Registered
621 Posts
I would guess you are asking about all the exotic waterfowl visitors......are they fair game?

Never read that the wayward (lost) species were closed season?
Lord knows that when that flock of a dozen fulvous tree ducks cups into my decoys that I'm going to have a tough time only taking the one![grin]

What would be a daily bag on any on these species?

I would think that based on the chances of seeing very many while huntng that they never address the issue......but then I would refer back to my fulvous comment.

Mark

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
hey swancaller are shelducks considered to be diving ducks, sea ducks, or a breed all their own?

Do you know what they feed on? It is a beautiful species and seems to be rare in the US. Congrats on your kill, that will look good mounted.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I agree with the previous posting on the limit. Just like Teal which are not specifically listed in the regulation they fall under General Duck Species which is 6 birds of either sex. Pretty cool birds both would make a nice mount. A couple a years ago, while in college, I saw a pair of really beautiful birds in a fountain pond in front of our building. My professor, a duck hunter, and I checked them out and found they were a duck from China. With a little more investigation we found that they had moved out of the Norfolk Zoo which had a frozen pond to the fountain pond which stayed unfrozen. Maybe these came from the same circumstance. But it would be neat if there was an unknown migration pattern but at the same time would, because of avian flu, be upsetting to find that a duck from Europe Asia had us as a migration route which could endanger all migratory birds.
Eastduck

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
[Q]swancaller originally wrote:
When we get hurricanes that go up the north atlantic late in the fall we get some of them every now and then.
[/Q]

Where are you shooting?

Bert

·
Registered
235 Posts
[Q]Durado originally wrote:

......to answer the question, orginally, I'd have to say since I didn't know what it was, I wouldn't have shot. Not sure you should have....are they legal to hunt here?
[/Q]

Look at the wings on those 2 pictures. Not even close, but the body's are. May be a different strain or a hybird raise on a farm. I have seen a few mixed birds in my day.

·
Registered
235 Posts
[Q]Durado originally wrote:

[/Q]

Look at the wings on those 2 pictures. Not even close, but the body's are. May be a different strain or a hybird raise on a farm. I have seen a few mixed birds in my day.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Possibly a seasonal plumage change...Some birds will change from brown to all white with the onset of winter...Or male to female plumage differences. Other than the wing patch these birds look pretty similar!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Boy.....some of you guys are critical......it is the same [email protected] bird.

I would hate to see you guys picking a thug out of a line-up.

The live birds have their wings tucked as per usual with the surrounding body feathers covering over as per usual.

The dead birds are dead and dont have any of their wings covered.

Sure the caged birds are probably domesticated and the dead birds are not......look at how many mutant mallards you see in parks, marinas, and probably in some of your bag limits......but you still know it is a mallard[grin]

Mark

1 - 20 of 24 Posts