Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Grady is getting old and had many chips in the gel coat on my hard top. I've fill them with Marine Tex and sanded.....now I'm considering painting over the gel coat with a quality marine paint. Has anyone done this? What is your advice.

Dr. Bee

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
you can- but i would have tinted the marine tex then sanded, compounded and waxed. i repaired many areas on my privateer when i bought it with marine tex, and you can hardly tell they are there.

successful painting is all about the prep. but unless you get a pro to do it, it will likely never look as pretty as the original get coat. i would take it off and take it to an auto body guy to get it sprayed.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I used Interlux Brightside One Part Poly, roll and tip, and it turned out fantastic. I did sand, wipe, prime, sand, wipe before I painted and believe it made a huge difference than if I hadn't taken the prep steps.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Dr.Bee - Definitely can paint it and it will look great after prep and roll and tip. As Jethro mentioned, brightside one part is great and the two part is even tougher. But for a hard top that you don't walk on, it might be overkill.

The two part brightside on the sides of my sailboat is 12 years old, lives in the weather all year and still looks good. It has a matte finish additive.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Dr.Bee - Definitely can paint it and it will look great after prep and roll and tip. As Jethro mentioned, brightside one part is great and the two part is even tougher. But for a hard top that you don't walk on, it might be overkill.

The two part brightside on the sides of my sailboat is 12 years old, lives in the weather all year and still looks good. It has a matte finish additive.
X2
not a hard job, just take your time & follow the dirrections

·
Registered
75 Posts
Go with a 2 part. Not too difficult if you follow the exact instructions and have the patience for proper prep. Once you apply a one part paint on the surface, you are stuck with that type forever. Single stage Brightsides is pretty good paint but they fail to tell you that it cant be buffed or blended.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.