Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some info on a charter in cancun. want all american crew that know what there doing not some mexicans that are just going to take us for a boat ride

·
Registered
586 Posts
Go here.

http://www.obsession-charters.com/

Call the number. We just got home last night after 2 days of fishing. There are a few OI boats down there including Jeff Ross and Arch Bracher. They are probably booked but can put you in the right direction. They are both at Isla. Also some boats down there from Ocean City.

Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Jeff and Arch are already booked. Walt Spruill may have something on the Hunter but I doubt it.
Mike King on the Anticipation, 60 foot Spencer, has something the last week of Feb. and first week of March, I just spoke to him. B-mail me if you want his number.
Troy

·
Registered
782 Posts
I think Walt said he had something in the beginning of march but then he's headed to Chub Cay bahamas...Havn-a -Ball...Daniel Davis aka Backlash is there,Smoker, and several others are there till about the 2nd week of march......
Micheal who owns Jax's Bar has a little 28-31 foot boat that is half the price of the big boats...still catches plenty...We averaged 30-35 sails a day there for a month....
the island...Isla mujeres is alot more laid back than cancun...but you can still get some beer and ride around the island in your golf cart on the blow days....
I rented a house there for what a cottage cost a week at Nags Head...
3 story and on the water with a reef right out in front to catch lobster......
Hope this helps some.....and bring plenty of film....sailfish with be swarming....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Try JOJO on the Lazy Bonz. He is from Maryland. I know he is in ISLA and has some openings. The boats is a new 52 Viking. Great guy to fish with. His cell in Mexico is 561-262-8261 call between 6:30 and 9 in th evening.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
HEard jojo talking on the radio. Sounded like he was in to fish. great guy, never fished with him but sat at the bar with him a few times and enjoyed his stories.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Capt. Kenny Sexton is running the 61 Davis "Turn Me Loose" out of Isla M. Direct Mexico phone# 0115219981319645. Big boat - great fisherman. - Scott

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Charters in the Cancun area

I second Capt Rick's, I have fished with them many times and always a good experience. It is run by a couple from the Outer Banks, ask for Bob or Linda. Now they are about 45miles south of the Cancun hotel area at Port Aventuras so it is a ways to go if you are staying in Cancun. I have 4 trips booked the last week of May.

http://www.fishyucatan.com/

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Had one day to fish 2 years ago out if Isla Muja-what the heck- (the place with the topless volleyball)- Fished with Walt Spruill on the "the Hunter" www.thehunter.com.

Great guy, fine boat, under very bad conditions (high winds, big seas) we caught about 20 sails- best single day of fishing I've ever had. They were averaging 60+ a day. Now don't get me wrong for a second, backing down on a sail in stand-up gear with 6 foot waves crashing over the stern was a blast- but all the American charters were suffering from "stat envy"; they wanted numbers of sails so they could advertise. The crew was a little aggravated that I wanted to actually fight and land the occasional other species. They scoffed at the Mexican captains that would go catch a dozen sails and then go target some other species. Problem was, that actually sounded good to me.

Again, best fishing day of my life, and if I was there on a one day shot, I'd call Walt or another American, but if I was going to go again for a couple days, a little variety, (and half the cost per day) would be worth exploring with a local Mexican captain. I'm sure that there are some with poor equipment, etc. etc. but if anyone hooks up with a good local guy, send me the number.............

1 - 18 of 18 Posts