Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the 225 Triton Sea Hunt CC - the load plate says max capacity is 8 people or something like 1500 lbs

The question is are the 8 people "adults"?

Have family coming in this weekend and we will be 9 total -

5 adults
1 - 12 yr old girl
1 - 4 yr old girl
1 - 2 yr old girl
1 - 1 yr old girl

I understand the life jacket part - but are we illegal having the 9? I have the estimated weight of the 9 people at 1100lbs on the high side - the boat has seating for 7 adults comfortably

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
8 People regardless of age, sex, or weight as long as the total does not exceed the max payload. So 3 kids at 50 lbs each count as 3 People just as 3- 200lb guys , DONE

the limit of the boat is EITHER the load in LBS or People which ever is met FIRST.

TED

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Maryland just states to abide by the capacity plate. They're not responsible for stupidity. You may not get in trouble with the law but how would you feel if your boat flips killing someone because you exceeded the weight limit and created instability on your boat.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Try to think ahead - if you had 8-9 people on the boat.

Going to be crowded - hit a wave / wake wrong and some one loses balance , one of the kids become a human air bag.

Rough ride with spray - people will move to one side ( dry ) and shift the trim of your boat. Now a wave hits wrong and boat could capsize.

That much weight will cause boat to steer and ride different than you are used to.

IMHO - use your own common sense and not the capacity rating.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm all about safety when it comes to kids but I think depending upon the circumstances you will be fine.

1) Only go if conditions are calm.
2) Distribute the load evenly and make it clear to everyone that they need to stay in their areas.
3) Be mindful of other wakes and slow down, steer to take the wakes in a better position, etc...
4) You are going to know if the boat is reacting differently than it normally does, if it does not feel right, lighten the load. The 4 kids you list likely have a combined weight of less than 200 lbs.
Whether the DNR would hassle you about it I do not know. The worry about being hassled by them would likely take some of the enjoyment away from me. They are certainly going to be out in force this weekend and much less tolerant than on a typical weekend. Holidays tend to bring the yahoo's out as well so be careful.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
For what it's worth...I think many "capacity plates" overrate the number of people a boat can safely carry...mine does. Plate states 6 people and there are 6 seating locations. However, the cockpit area seats 4 with an additional spot on the bow's rather large raised casting platform and one on the sterns very small raised casting platform. I can't imagine cruising around with 6 people seated in said locations...way too dangerous and probably illegal. Be careful out there.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
The plate is required by law. Why would a manufacturer overstate anything on the plate? They'd be opening themselves to legal action in the event of an accident. If anything they would understate it to play it safe. Read the Coast Guard and Md. DNR regs there is nothing in them that says anything about not heeding the manufacturers plate being I violation of the law.

If the boaters need the advice given on this board, which is good advice, to operate a boat safely they shouldn't own and operate a boat.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This is Pennsylvania information, but interesting. When I transferred registration of the 25' Sportcraft that I bought in VA with VA registration to PA, it had no capacity plate. I filled out the form for PA for a boat with no capacity plate when applying for PA registration and title and got a response back from the PA Fish and Boat Commission that said that a 25' boat was not required to have a capacity plate and, therefore, they would not issue one.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Not trying to argue with anyone but I do think that many smaller boats carrying capacities are overrated.

The first boat is not mine, just an example of why I think plates are sometimes misleading. My boat's specs follow the C.S. specs. I don't doubt the weight carrying capacity of either boat but can't imagine cruising around with 9 people on this 17' boat or 6 on my 16.5' boat. Where do you safely put em?

Carolina Skiff DLV 178

2014 Specifications, USCG Capacity, Features and Options

LOA 17'
BEAM 96"
Gunnel Height 26"
Approx Boat Weight 1553 lbs
Fuel Capacity 20 Gallon
Transom Size 25"
Draft 6" - 9" (inches)
Maximum Weight 1800 lbs
Maximum Person 9 or 1269 lbs
Maximum Horsepower 90 HP

http://www.carolinaskiff.com/dlv.html

Here's my boat's specs...again, I don't doubt the weight carrying capacity but how can I safely carry 6 people? To me, 4 people should be max.

G3 V164C Angler

Boat Length: 16' 4"
Beam: 88"
Package Width: 91"
Bottom Width: 70"
Transom Height: 20"
Bow Depth: 35"
Dead Rise: 13°
Dry Hull Weight: 1000 lbs.
Pkg Weight: 1845 lbs.
Hull Gauge: .080 + .064
Max Hp: 75
Max Weight Cap: 1350 lbs.
Number Of Persons: 6
Fuel Capacity: 19 Gal
Color Options: Black/Midnight

http://www.g3boats.com/2014-angler-v164-aluminum-deep-v-fishing-boat

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
One of the guys who occasionally posts here once had an extra person on a tube. The cop wrote him a ticket. The judge threw it out in court.

But he had to take a day off work, so he wasn't sure who won....

·
Registered
14,077 Posts
Federal Law requires boats less than 20 feet to have a capacity plate. Some States make it a violation to exceed the limit The capacity plate also states the maximum horsepower for outboard motors. You must remember that the maximum capacity includes weight of passengers, motor and gear. I would think a manufacturer would understate the weight to protect them. I have a 1720 Key West center console and the plate says 4 people or 600 pounds and a total of 1200 pounds for passengers, motor and gear and max 120 HP.My boat is a foam filled double hull so to me that seems light. I never take more than 3 on my boat as I am 270! Common sense should exceed the plate.If you have children under 5, I would expect one adult for each to be safe.................Gary

·
Registered
439 Posts
The foam is so when the boat gets flooded it doesn't sink sink. It's not there so the boat can hold more people or weight. There was just a good article in Boating Magazine on how capacity for under 18' boats is determined. They put cement blocks in until it sinks to a certain depth. It's done in a swimming pool so it goes to show you that they don't think about running around in Bay conditions.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got to love what Tidalfish has turned into -

I asked a simple question last night as I was just curious and figured id ask other fisherman. After the first answer I replied thank you - end of story

Then I get dumped on for risking safety - which I didn't do

Then I get dumped on for being stupid and asking a stupid question

Then poor Greg from iFishMd gets dumped on for answering my question because some person thinks he posts too much about his successful charter business

It's sad to see what this forum has become

1 - 20 of 31 Posts