Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After being inspired by Mister Jamie's report yesterday, I decided to try and fish today at Cape Henry aboard our boat the Weekend Mistress. Left Richmond at 6 am with a newbie to trolling for rockfish along the ocean front-Keith Kates. Got to Sunset Creek Boatel at 7:30, filled the fuel tank, picked up Bill Tanner & Jessie Brown and headed east across calm seas.

We got to Cape Henry in a flash, headed towards some diving Gannetts and put out the spread. Spread is tomics on wire off the corners - 1 Pearl & 1 Chartruse-Green, Mann Imitador, 32 oz dropper on mono with a 6' leadered white parachute rig and a 9" Storm Bunker on top way back. Within 5 minutes we had 3 fish on. A 25"on 9" Bunker Storm, 29" on the Menhaden Color Imitator & 34" on a white parachute rig near the bottom. So back goes the 25" and we troll for another couple of hours without any more. About 11 am we noticed the tide is running north at about 3-5 knot and we are moving too far from Cape Henry and not catching any more fish.

So we move a little further south because the bird activity looks better, there are more boats-so obviously more fish :D and we prefer to fish along the channel edge. After thinking about the same thing that happened to us last year at this time, we change the spread slightly by taking out the 9" Bunker Storm and put in an 8 oz June Bug white parachute rig way way way back. For the next hour we put a mid 30" fish in the box every 20 minutes and all of them have been on the white parachute rig on Bill's fishing rod. So we get a bright idea, :D and by about 1pm we have taken everything else in and now we are only fishing three 8 oz white parachute rigs way way way way way back. So things have improved even more & now we are catching 20 lb fish about every ten minutes and by 1:30 we have our limit and it's back to the barn.

Special Thanks to Mr. Jamie! You Da Man!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Good Weather, Good Fishing and Good Company. Doesn't get any better than that!

Happy Holidays & Tight Lines to All,

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Viriginia

·
Registered
565 Posts
Good job Kevin and crew, I saw you guys out there. You just had to pound the bait and fish marks and they bites would come. I think you guys did better then most that I heard on the radio. Nice job on you limit catch. Ben

DEVIOUS

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tight Lines & Happy Holiday

Forgot to mention the fish were suspended from 10-25' until around 1 pm. After 1 the fish started to move down in the water column and were between 20-45'. As we headed back in it seemed like the bite was getting ready to get a lot better as the tide was just starting to go out.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress
Coastal Conservation Association-Virginia

·
Registered
548 Posts
:thumbup: Great job Kevin! Wish we were abit closer to that area as the Bay seems lifeless further north! Had one knockdown that turned a mojo inside out!:eek:
Thanks for the report,
DB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts