Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife wants to look at a home in the Cape. Anyone know the status of the piers?

-How long is the wait
-Are they protected in bad weather
-condition
-draft in and out (I draw next to nothing)

·
Premium Member
26,177 Posts
I know 4-5 of our MSSA members live in the Cape but trailer to Sandy Point.I'll ask them why and B-mail you any info. Skip

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've lived in the Cape for around 6 six years now, and I'm going on my fifth year of being on the list. Although I do trailer my boat outside of the Cape often, for offshoring and down south towards Pt Lookout. If you do move to the Cape, I would suggest applying for a mud slip. If you get a mud slip you can upgrade without having to go to the bottom of the list, with less hassel because there are around 200 plus waiting for slips(mud slips free up before all others). On another note you can sub-lease slips during the early spring and fall striper seasons because most slips are not full until around mid May til June, and then alot of slips start to free up in mid September. Once you have a slip you will have a deal of a life time, I think the most expensive slip for a year is close to 400 bucks. I hope to have one within the next 2 years or sooner.

Oh, the Boat Ramp...... The boat ramp is ok during normal tide changes. When we get those very low tides(mainly early spring and late fall) with a NW winds, plan on going to Sandy Pt if your boat is greater than 22 foot. The ramp will flood out on those full moons, so there are days you will have to watch the tides and winds. Its not as bad as it sounds, this has only happened to me maybe a dozen times in five years (I fish quite often from April til Dec, atleast twice a week).

Good Luck
Mike

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. for the info. A coworker lives there and has a slip but he wasnt sure of the wait. He thought it was a couple of years... I didnt know it would be that long. It obviously is a consideration to where and if we move...

·
Registered
38 Posts
I lived in the cape for about five years, I had to move south (Solomons Isand) because of work five years ago. I second the motion on getting a mud slip first then upgrade to a real slip. I was on the waiting list for about 1.5 years before I had to move. The boat ramp is VERY nice for a community boat ramp, never had a problem parking or getting my 20' boat in and out of the water.

The Cape is a very nice Community to raise kids, and plenty of activities (Strawberry festival, easter egg hunts, breakfast with Santa, Haunted house, sports, etc....).
Good luck

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
The Cape is a very nice Community to raise kids, and plenty of activities (Strawberry festival, easter egg hunts, breakfast with Santa, Haunted house, sports, etc....).
Good luck
Thats becasue some dude in a " Dew Rag" walks the streets 24/7 with a shotgun in one hand and a baitcaster in the other. Dead give away is " Pink Fireline" on baitcaster.

Used to patrol in big Expedition, but neighbors complained about fences being run over in the middle of the night.:eek:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brothers,
Yes I live in Cape St Claire and everything Blakesdad said is true, well most of it anyway!!!! And everything said about the waiting list for a slip is true too. Fairwinds Marina is also in Cape St Claire and they heve both dry storage and slips available. In fact the main Cape pier and Fairwinds are right next to eachother. If you draw nothing, the mud slip suggestion is a good one. Most of us keep our boats in the driveway and either launch at the Cape St Claire community ramp or at Sandy Point. I like Sandy Point better because the Cape ramp can get messy in the summer with some prople trying to launch and other people trying to retreive all at the same time. There are a few waterfront homes available with peirs and boat lifts, if your so inclined. If you have kids, Cape St Claire is in the Broadneck HS district and the houses tend to be more expensive because it's a desireable school district. All in all Cape St Claire is a pretty cool neighborhood.

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feed back. I currently live in the Broadneck dist and we defineateky want to stay here with our 3 kids. Unfortunately we spent this past year updating and redoing our 4 bedroom colonial. However, the wife wants a bigger home to where we can have a seperate office/guest room in addition to the 4 bedrooms we have. I told her the only way I am going for it is if we get into a water privileged community to where I can walk to the boat. Between my condition and our budget, I should be safe in staying in our current home. It doesnt stop her from looking though. The house she found that she wants to see that is in our budget is on Chestnut Tree Drive. I will have to map quest it and even see if it is in walking distance of the water...

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
There are 2 main marinas, 3 smaller marinas, a crabbing pier and a Community beach in CSC. As for walking distance to the water....It all depends on how far you want to walk to see the water. Chestnut Hill runs sort of east-west and goes in front of the elementary school and behind the high school. It would be a good streach of the legs to get to the community beach, crabbing pier or boat ramp. Walking is popular in CSC and you can see many of the Cape Folk walking in the mornings and evenings. I just noticed you have a 25MayCraft and I think it's a little too big for one of the mud slips. Sounds like you would have to use Sandy Point, which means towing. Sounds like the house your looking at won't meet your expectations.

·
Registered
64 Posts
First off, I don't have kids, so I don't keep up on the quality of all the schools. But I live in Riva, and know that the neighborhoods of Berkshire and Annapolis Landing both have several homes for sale right now. Both have community boat ramps, and boat slips on the south river. Real protected water, about a 7 mile run to the mouth of the river and TPL.
Hope you find something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts