Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I am looking for my first fishing yak. I found someone selling a caper for the right price. I am 6' - 250 lbs. I will be in the Chesapeake Bay some, not long trips. I will be in lakes and rivers more often. I hear this is a good starter yak. Any one of my size have any thoughts about the caper?

Appreciate it!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Go with the drifter instead, at that size think the Caper would be small for open water (ocean) fishing especially once you start adding gear. I flux between 200 and 230 and the Drifter is awesome. If it is a real good deal you can buy it and try it, if you don't like it you can turn around and sell a caper without any problems.
CPR,
Chad

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have one. I am 5'8" and 210. It works fine for me. Naked Goby has one, he is about 6' and 230. He likes it. Bassmanpete has one and I don't know him to well but he is not small either, I'll let him tell you his size if he wants. He likes his Caper.

I'd say if you could swing the extra cash a Drifter would probably be better but the Caper would work. Mine was a little of a compromise because it fits into my shed at 11' and it was less money than some of the other ones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought my caper from chad, used it a couple of times. I thought I needed a bigger yak, bought the drifter. Which by the way ARC has them for a $475. Call (800)442-4837. I'm 5'11 185, and the Caper was excellent for rivers, don't know about open water. Caper is an excellent yak IMO, not sure if I really needed the drifter, time will tell. I do plan on going to the CBBT this summer, and I will probably not regret getting the bigger yak at that point. Looking forward to outfitting the drifter and trying some bigger water.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You heard this is a good "starter" yak? Whoever said that should be shot (well at least slapped in the head). I don't know where they get starter from. It's not like you buy a yak and then graduate to a "better" yak. Every yak has its pluses and minuses. There is no kayak that will be excellent for all circumstances, however the Caper comes close.

I'm 6'1" and 220 lbs (I started going to the gym a couple monthes ago) I have a 32" inseam and the yak still has one more foot well to go. When I get in the caper, I don't get water right away, however the first wave, wake, etc and I got water. I carry a sponge because the water annoys me.

I bought my Caper because it was used and I thought I got a good deal on it. I like it because it is short and fits in my truck very easily and is light. It had enough room to carry what I need, tracks very well for a short yak and I have never had any problems keeping up with anyone (short kayaks are typically "slower" then longer kayaks).

This winter I was really hating the kayak. Because of it's short size, it is tough getting through the surf. Especially if you have any gear in the front hatch. That weighs the bow down which isn't good in the surf. However, because of its short size, landing the Caper in the surf is easy.

But now I am back to loving the yak. The places Tom and I have been lately would have been tough in a long yak. Hell, it was tough in my Pungo last year.

Other things I don't like....The foot wells hold water. Carry sponge if it bothers you. Also, any water that goes over the bow is going into the footwells and you are stuck with it because of the channels that run along side the front hatch. That sucks! The stearn area is not big enough. You have to get a special crate made at Wally World to fit in there. It would be nice if a regular crate plus your fish would fit in there.

Anyway, enough rambling. Try the kayak out. I have a feeling you might be needing a Drifter, but you won't know till you try them.

On the whole I would say the Caper is a very good kayak. I'm mostly happy with mine and would buy it again if given the chance. If I get another kayak, I'll probably get rid of my Pungo before letting go of my Caper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the comments this is very helpful. I think I know what I need to do.

I'll be back when it comes time to start rigging :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought my Caper cause of the price and love it. It is not a beginner yak, but one suitable for smaller bodies of water or as a commando raid type boat for when you don't want to hassle with a big heavy monster yak. It's been terrific. Sure I wanted a longer boat when I was at the CBBT in November but most of my fishing is freshwater for smallies in moving rivers with class II rapids so I needed something I could turn pretty quickly.

I'm shorter than you and maybe a tad heavier, certainly weigh more once I layer up for winter fishing or get soaked. I found I had water coming up the scuppers by the seat areas so I plug the scupper holes and carry a sponge. Unfortunately OK didn't redesign the cockpit of the Caper like they did the Drifter last year to add a channel to let all the water in the foot wells drain to the one up front with the scupper. Summer time its no big deal by my feet can get cold if the heels sit in water for a couple hours. If the fishing is good I don't even notice it.

Caper is a capable craft. It can handle the CBBT in late November, and moving water all winter. It's not a fast boat though, so if you plan to paddle long distances to get to fish there are better options (Drifter, Tarpons, Prowler). Slow is a function of being wide and short, which makes it perfect for navigating tight spots and climbing on like monkey bars to get at stuff in the tiny tankwell. That thing could certainly be bigger, but I got my crate at WallyWorld and it holds more gear than I can use on one trip, and I can get 6 to 8 rods back there with my PVC rig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts