Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Salisbury ch 21 website:

BALTIMORE (AP)- Eastern Shore charter boat captain and restaurateur Levin F. "Buddy" Harrison pleaded innocent Friday to misdemeanor charges of illegally hunting Canada geese.

Harrison, the operator of the Chesapeake House restaurant on Tilghman Island in Talbot County, has been charged with taking geese over a baited area last January and exceeding the daily limit of two geese.

He was caught with eight geese in his possession, the U.S. Attorney's Office said. His business, Harrison's Country Inn and Sportfishing Center, has also been charged.

Trial was set for April 19-20. Harrison faces up to six months in prison and a $15,000 fine.

The charges are the latest in a string of wildlife violations for Harrison.

In July, he was charged with having undersize striped bass at his seafood processing plant. The charge came after an anonymous tip and a state visit to the plant.

In 1999, Harrison was found guilty of having striped bass out of season and fined $3,500, with $1,500 suspended. He was also fined for illegal possession of striped bass in 1999 and 2000.

:p

·
Registered
11,296 Posts
This man is quite wealthy and certainly isn't a hardship case.His should be made an example of in heavy fines and revoked licenses.It's not due to ignorance..but beligerence & greed.He's a disgrace to society.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Capt Buddy is a repeat offender and surely can't use ignorance of the law as an excuse. If convicted, the punishment should fit the crime and should this occur I'm sure his past record will be considered. No doubt he will produce many "character" witnesses who will portray his many good deeds as a reason for leniency. I hope the court will not be swayed by this and administers the appropriate punishment and send a message to all poachers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We should all thank the Capital for running the story, maybe demand a follow up on what the outcome will be, ask them to run it on the first page next time. Not too long ago this wouldn't have even made the paper. Exposure is the only thing that is going to encourage DNR to put some teeth into their enforcement.

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I wish you would leave Mr. Harrison alone-it's obvious the man has a serious learning disablilty with numbers-he can't count or measure.:D :p I'm waiting for an IRS audit next. Skip

·
Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
1,109 Posts
These charges are going to be heard in Federal aka "Big Boy Court"... His supposed "influence" will mean nothing there. Federal courts are less stringent relating to submission of evidence by the government, and have slightly different rules than local courts. If he is found guilty the judge will be bound by sentencing guidelines that are based on past record etc. The judge has little leeway and are usually bound by sentencing guideines. This is certainly not a crime of violence, and according to the Capital he was not charges with a Felony, but I would say that based on sentences I have seen in Federal Court, this will not be the "wink and a see ya" that he has seen in the past.

Lets see what facts are presented by the government and what Buddy's answer will be to these facts. Could be interesting.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Capt Buddy

Can you imagine the slaughter he's gotten away with over the years? This guy is a disgrace to the Great State of Maryland.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
The walls of his restaurant on Tilghman Island is adorned with pictures of Capt. Buddy and his clients throughout the year. There are just as many picture of Capt. Buddy with federal officials as there are pictures with state officials. It's will be a done deal once some congressman calls some chief federal judge. A slap on his wrist, a promise not to do it anymore, and Capt. buddy will be off to bait another field or catch another illegal Rockfish. Buddy will not be stopped by anyone as long as he walks this earth. It isn't right but get used to it!

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
why don't y'alll just arrange a hunting trip with Ol dick Cheney??? Give Cheney some 00 Buck for them geese and turn 'em loose...problem solved...

·
Registered
85 Posts
The walls of his restaurant on Tilghman Island is adorned with pictures of Capt. Buddy and his clients throughout the year. There are just as many picture of Capt. Buddy with federal officials as there are pictures with state officials. It's will be a done deal once some congressman calls some chief federal judge. A slap on his wrist, a promise not to do it anymore, and Capt. buddy will be off to bait another field or catch another illegal Rockfish. Buddy will not be stopped by anyone as long as he walks this earth. It isn't right but get used to it!
Frank,
Unfortunitely, your right. It just burns me up thing your average Joe would get nailed to the wall and a repeat offender w/dollars and greasy palms can get away with whatever he wants. That is politics.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, but in my experience that would be EXTREMELY unusual. I practice at one of the most politically connected firms in the world and have never heard of anyone even considering contacting a federal (or any other) judge for such a purpose. I also know some federal judges and, aside from being people of high integrity, they'd never do something so stupid as to risk their lifetime pay. The same, I believe, holds true of most Congressmen, the exceptional - and highly publicized - instances notwithstanding. Where federal investigatory agencies are involved, we have had high-ranking folks at the firm, who are former high-ranking gov't folks, call their former underlings in the government to persuade them to close an investigation (while using legal arguments, of course, not bribes/threats). Even in these instances, the government usually does not change its stance. Right or wrong, those guys believe that they are on the side of justice and apple pie and will rarely waiver if they think they have a decent case.

Does that mean that the prosecutor will not later accept a plea bargain offered by Buddy's lawyers? No. Plea bargains make the justice system possible. A prosecutor simply does not have the time or resources to bring every case to trial; he or she must plea away a fair number of cases. Given that this same prosecutor likely has alleged violent offenders, embezzlers, etc. on her plate, Buddy's case is not necessarily an attractive target for trial unless the evidence that the gov't has against him is fairly cut and dry and the case would therefore take less time to prepare.

However, I think that most line prosecutors, along with U.S. Attorneys and their bosses at main Justice, also recognize that certain areas of enforcement may be lacking and therefore more deserving of a hard stance on a few "example cases" to set the enforcement tone. This happened in North Carolina with fish poaching thanks to a determined prosecutor I know. This is also where the recreational (and commercial) fishing community can make the prosecutor's office aware of the importance we place on this case. The concerns of the industry and the community do make a difference to many prosecutors as they sift their often crushing caseload.

Finally, keep in mind that Maryland now has a new Attorney General, Doug Gansler. I met Doug at a fundraiser and he impressed me with his stated determination to actively prosecute environmental crimes. Although this is a federal case, the office of the Maryland Attorney General may have the U.S. Attorney's ear in terms of making sure that they are on the same page and sending the same signals on prosecuting natural resource crimes.

Here is some contact info.for those interested in writing:

Rod J. Rosenstein
U.S. Attorney's Office
District of Maryland
36 S. Charles Street 4th Fl.
Baltimore, MD 21201

Maryland Attorney General
Environmental Crimes Unit
1800 Washington Boulevard
Baltimore, Maryland 21230-1719

·
Registered
241 Posts
it angers me that if ya got cash you walk. there are a few drunk driving issues in my state of delaware where the rich crashed into and killed some people. because some were upper scale people they were not arrested with probable cause or left the scene and were not able to be booked with dui . if it was some poor sap the police have more than probable cause.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts