Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I say send them all somewhere else. You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here. These are our fish. That quote from your post on page 10 of the Shut Down Thread had a way of rubbing alot of people wrong. (not sure why it was shut down but oh well) You also stated most of our customers drive down in the morning and leave that day. You wanted people to think the customers us out of towners bring to the beach don't spend money there that is so untrue. As I stated before most of my customers stay and eat at least two meals. I have been trying to take a conservative guess as to the number of hotel rooms payed for in VA Beach do to my business. At least 150. Do you think my customers do less to help the local economy than yours ? The economy of VA Beach is based on out of towners whether its fishing, vacationing attending a function at the Convention Center or whatever. I see where you were asked what your boat name was and what you charge but you have not answered. My Boat is the Anna Lynn and I get 650.00 for half day six people and get extra for every head over six. (Average 8 to 10 a trip) All of our prices are close to that. Now I have answered! What about the questions sent your way. Boat Name ? How much you charging for your trips captain ? Are you booked all summer ? How many years have you been a Captain ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I followed the last post as it was interesting to hear all the views. I have not heard from any of the vb charter captains on this matter. The capt. jake guy said it was not what he does for a living, but wants these out of town people to leave. To the guy on the Anna Lynn, I dont think he can answer those questions because he said that is not what he does for a living. Maybe the price questions should be directed to a charter captain from VB to really see if you are undercharging. But then again who are we to tell you what to charge. You are the one that is in business. Hell, I think the last time I got a half day trip from
the fishing center, it was about that same price.

·
Registered
658 Posts
""I said people the like of Mr. Caton that come here and routinely cause problems should not be welcomed here"" your line jakeg name ONE problem caton has caused since coming here? let alone routinely causing problems......he has been a good little church mouse going about his business so as not to interfere with anybody, you call a post on tidal fish a problem? it was only a problem because everyone interprets what they read differently. heck congrats are due him for showing us all the proper way to fish across the 3 mile line. BTW another 2 days of banner fishing at mouth of bay ,

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I will give this only one reply. I had already typed up a very long response to this on the other thread only to find it was locked out. This is gonna be the short and sweet version. I feel as those you take what I am saying wrongly. The statement that you quoted at the top is a direct quote directed at me by Mr. Caton from last year, but I guess I can't expect you to know that. He has had an ongoing hate for us up here in VA for several years and I'm truly suprised he actually came up here for the winter. He's done everything from cuss me out over the radio to flip my charter off with children on board. I'm sure you would feel that way about people coming to your home town and acting like jerks too. We have enough of our own trouble makers here and don't need any more. I say if you are running an honest business and making the place better, we should be happy to have you around. As far as this being our resource, I stand by that 100%. When the fish go somewhere else, I feel the local area should have the right to decide whats gonna happen with the fish off their coast. Your money and your customers money definitely helps our economy here. No arguement there. I was not saying that there is no impact here. I was trying to say that there is also a good deal of money that is going out of town. The rates you cited are the run of the mill local rates. More or less same as mine. I will not say that all the prices are close to that. I have heard everything all the way down to $70 a head on a large group full day. I know your boat and know your business. You guys are hard workers and one of the ones that I would consider to be legit. You also have your own customers. I have talked with you several times. My boat name is Matador. My name is Jake Hiles. I do quite a few bookings during the summer normally. I have only been running my boat for a year, however I have been working on the water for about 11 years now. My boat is on blocks at the moment, however I would like to talk to you sometime about this over a drink, my treat, when I get back around. I don't see any reason why this can't be worked out in a gentlemanly fashion. I would like to speak more personally about this and I think that talking over the internet is a bad way to cross ideas because we can never tell the actual emotions of others through typed words. I will listen to your opinion and I just ask that you do the same of mine. You can hold me to my word that I will not get anry with anything you have to say. I just want a solution here.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Capt Jake: I requsted that of Brandon..... that the other thread be locked...I started it and it got a little off track.

Your suggestion on this site is a great one. A few dissenting voices should get to know one another a little better. you may discover you all have a lot more in common than not. I have been taught that if you do not like someone, you probably do not know them very well. If one makes an effort to walk in the other mans shoes, he usually sees things more like that individual. I hope you guys get together sometime...

Bob Allen, longtime recreational angler, Hampton,VA

·
Registered
161 Posts
Capt Dub
Well, they have called you out, and you answered. If no one else will say it, I will, well done. Seems like alot of back peddlen going on here now. But I think you are wasting your time, they are many, and we are few. It is hard to compare apples to oranges. Weekend warrior charter capts just dont think the same way we do.
Capt Jake,,did you or did you not read Capt Georges post about the 5 year moratorium? And you think the fish are yours?
Oh and by the way, 5 yrs ago when I first got down there, there werent hardly any VA sportfishers even fishing for Rockfish.! Still arent, except for David Wright. If it werent for us coming down there, it would probably still be,,,,well not many boats there. As it is now, you cant even find a slip there. Ask Paula at Fishermans Wharf when her busy season is, and see what she says. Thats right, when the bay boats come down for the rockfish.
Oh and just so you can see I can step up to the plate to,
Boat name WORM
Rate 750$ 6 head all day 8 hrs
Rate If 2 half day trips booked in a row, Fri evening, Sat morning, then 600$ for each trip
75$ for each extra, 8 head minimum fri , sat, sun.
Maximum 22 head.
Oh, and while were at it, lets go over an average day with one of my MD parties, shall we.
Party shows up Friday afternoon at Colonial Inn, remember, 8 head min. Id like 4-5 rooms please. Lets go to eat at Rudees, hmm 8 head plus me and mate,,,, I will let you guess at the bill. Go back to colonial, drinks at Angelos,, do more math.
Time to get up and go fishin, I swing by BIG Sams and get about 10 breakfast sandwiches,, party went to 7--11 for adult beverage and Tylenal. Go fishing and catching, come back, drop party and fish, send party to BIG Sams while mate and I clean boat and fish, More $ for sam, and so on and so on. Do the math.
Now, so as to show im also a nice guy, would like to sit down to Diet Pepsi, no adult beverage, and chat all about this.
Have a nice day. Capt Worm

·
Registered
123 Posts
Same opinion as worm.

Debra Christine Charter Fishing.
Captain Brian Sutton

$750 Va beach Striper Trips 6 people.... $75 per additional up to 10 passengers.
$650 base price if 2 days back to back are booked.

·
Registered
76 Posts
and.......... The END. My rates are $20 a head. Lets all go fishing on my boat.... the ******* Express!:boat: I hope We all can enjoy the water in friendship. We all have difference about who's right and who's wrong.....lets all try to get along. Great fishing to all!:clap:

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Not gonna get into it on the board anymore. I'm sorry, but I think it's getting nowhere fast and people are taking my opinion wrong and way too seriously.
I extend the same invitation to anyone that wants to come down and talk to me. Have a chat sometime. I am not a mean person and I will listen. If you catch me early enough, we could take a boat ride and maybe teach each other a trick or two. I'm dead serious about that. I am interested in what you guys would have to say and I will be the first to admit that the majority of the conversations I have had with the guys from out of town of been very short and of little substance. You can call that back peddling or whatever you would like, but the invitation is there. Worst case scenario, we don't like what each other has to say.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Capt.Jakeegg,
You said "He's done everything from cuss me out over the radio to flip my charter off with children on board".........have you ever heard of the word "SLANDER".......you are an out right BLATENT LIAR.....I have never spoken to you in person nor do I care to,...I have never talked to you on the radio nor do I ever care to....I have never flipped you or you charter off cause I have never seen you nor do I care too.
Here's a little equatin that I would think about if I was you

SLANDER=High Lawyers Fees Do ya get it???......I doubt it...part time wannbe rhetric

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Question from the NORTH--

Now, so as to show im also a nice guy, would like to sit down to Diet Pepsi, no adult beverage, and chat all about this.
Have a nice day. Capt Worm

---Capt. Worm--Dam, The Hospitality of the Virginia Gentlemen & Ladies ,Has opened up a Maryland Invitation, Hope that will work In Deale--Looking forward to welcome you home -

--I do appriciate you showing No weakness in your Invite, Unlike Capt Jake, --No Mention of "My Treat"---Geo.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Well Holly **** this has gone way overboard! I would like to first say that I have several boats from up North and South both fishing out of the same marina as I do and have enjoyed their company and help.

Waterman has a great point and interest in this post and other posts about our guests because he has fought hard to make this fishery (Striper Fishing) into a Nationaly known fishery and help to increase Virginia Beach winter tourism. I would like to applaud him for this and once again say thank you to all of our guests.

This fishery has help many in the charter industry and resort industry continue their season (Which is already struggling with gas prices, more competition...) and I hope we can all work together to keep it around for awhile.

The pricing of charters, which has been brought up, is based upon each boat and should be that way. If a boat can run more than six persons good for them. Any boat that wants to run more than 6 can try to get the Coast Guard certifcation or buy a different boat.

Some charters will always be less expensive and others more expensive. Charters do not go to a less expensive charter because of the price. They change to another charter because they hated the crew, there is a bigger better boat, higher recommended captian/boat, friend recommendation or has had disappointing catchs. Not because of price!!! It is funny because the same issues come up in every business. Be the best and people will pay for your services no matter what.

This NC VA fishing license thing is kind of an issue, but not really. Charters out of state can get a boat license for the same price as the NC charter boats. It is pretty expensive compared to ours, but oh well. You have to pay to play. Hopefully next year they will make it to where to others can get boat licenses as well. At least they have made it to where anglers can get a license online instantly and for a limited amount of days for a lower price.

We have had a great season and should be happy that we did not have to run down or up the beach everyday to find fish.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I have lived in va. beach most of my life and have fished recreationally only. During this time I have on occasion chartered too;but rarely have I seen sooo many charters out of rudee at this time of the year. The place is crawling with people SPENDING MONEY. No matter who they are fishing with;THEY HAVE BROUGHT LIFE TO what is normally a dead marina this time of the year. As far as Rick Caton; A lot of this years charters were to be out of O.I. but as we all know the fish stayed here so as a smart businessman he moved his charters to the fish bringing his faithfull client base with him. I have a real hard time understanding why anyone with any business sence at all would complain about him or any other charter from anywhere coming in and helping bring life back to a normally very slow industry during the winter months.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Providence Ii
Inspected Vessel 42 Passengers

Price 700.00 10 People On The Bay 50.00 Each Over 10
Price 650.00 Per 6 Va Beach. 60.oo Each Over 6

Full Time Charter Captain Since 1997. Increased My Business Through Hard Work And Sweat. Ex Commercial Fisherman Who Still Holds Licenses.
Have Paid My Dues

Routinely Fishes Outside The 3 Mile Line.

Brings Own Customers Down To Va Beach.

Doesnt Care What Anyone Else Charges.

74 Trips Run Out Of Rudee And Still Fishing

Met Rick Caton This Year And Proud To Call Him A Friend And Work With Him Daily

Game Over

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't understand alot of the complaining about "outsiders". In the closed thread I mentioned how great it is to see all the activity at Rudee in the winter compared to both the summer and winters in the past. I think whats going on is good for everyone involved, No Ifs, Ands, or Buts!!!

As far as the "outsiders" undercuting the prices of the locals, I don't see that as a problem if you have built up a client base. Your clients will be loyal to you and a few dollors less on another boat will not make them leave you. I know one marina where the charter boats charge anywhere from $850-$1400 for the same trip. The more expensive boats run the most trips every year!!! If money was the main facter you would think the less expensive boats would have the most trips. At OIFC all the boats charge the same. You would think all the boats should have the same amount of bookings. But they don't, some boats (Captains) are always booked while others struggle to make a go of it.

I think thats how it is with most things we purchase. Just because it is the least expensive does not mean it is what I will buy. I never bought a YUGO. I think Lowes is more expensive then Home Depot, but I shop Lowes because I think I get better service there. Others feel the same about Home Depot. I don't think its always about money. I think it is more about where each of us feels we get the best value, and that is up to each person.

Just my two cents.

Providence: I live in place where the grass is Greener, the air is Cleaner, and the folks are just plain Happier. It's called Mathews County. You ever hear of it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Jake, Let Me Get A Few Things Off My Chest With You. First Of All In Your Post About Saying "these Are Our Fish And We Should Not Be Here".... That Will Rub Some People The Wrong Way. Myself Definately Included. You Own Nothing Off The Coast Of The Great State Of Virginia. And For You To Make Such A Statement And Then Saying We Should Be Run Off Is Completely Assanine. (in My Opinion And Obviously The Opinion Of Many Others) I Dont Know What Your Beef Is Or Why You Feel Like Your Not Getting The Business You Should, It Is Not My Business Nor My Concern. What I Do Have A Problem With Is You Saying You Were Approaching Another Captains Clients And Inquiring About His Fishing Habits. If Cato Is Your Target In Your Aggression Then So Be It. He Certainly Doesnt Need My Help In Defending His Position. I Certainly Wouldnt Recommend You Approaching My Clients And Inquire About My Business. I Feel Thats A Bit Out Of Bounds. I, Like Dubby,cato,worm, Etc.. Bring My Clients With Me To Va Beach. They Spend A Ton Of Money While Being There. We Are Treated Great By Fishing Center And Can Honestly Say I Have Never Had A Cross Word With Another Captain From There. I Say Live And Let Live. You Mind Your Business And Ill Take Care Of Mine. By The Way, Do You Have Any Idea How Much We Pay In Advertising? Pick Up A Copy Of The Angler Magazine Sometime. You Will See Most Of The Ads In There Are From The Bay And Maryland Boats Like Mine. Maybe You Should Try It And See If It Helps You Obtain More Business. Hey, If You Think Some Of Us Are Cheap, Come Up My Neck Of The Woods And Try To Compete With Some Of The Retirees And Part Timers Who Will Run 6 People All Day Long For 250.00.
The Captain And Crew Make The Trip. Not The Price.

Have A Good Day Capn And Good Luck.

Ps. Rick Caton For President

·
Registered
217 Posts
It has been painful reading this and keeping quiet. No offense to Jake, but he has said that he does not do this for a living and it is his first year as a captain out of Rudee. I wish him
the best of luck, but he is not speaking for Va. Beach, and anyone that has that kind of attitude about our guests is not welcome down here!!!!! Keep coming and enjoy!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am a by stander here. When talking about pricing and under cutting, I find this a non issue. 6 people on a boat divide $200.oo by 6 and you come out at $33.00 per person extra. I do not think $33 dollars would cause me to go on another boat (full day). I do think fishing past the 3 mile line for catch and release will hurt the population, not sure the death ratio on the stripers caught (when holding eggs) but I would feel that it does cause more issues than it helps. Just my 2 cents and I went on a charter Saturday and did not have 1 knock down, but the captian fished hard all the way to Coralla and back. Looks like we will have another great cobia year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts