Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Eminent Brothers,
The thought of a world record Tile Fish has sparked my interest in hooking up with Capt Croakerhead on one of his Deep Drop jigging trips. I read in one of the local fishing publications he planned on starting about now. Anyone heard from Capt Jim lately and know anything about how he is booking trips and walk-ons???

·
Registered
233 Posts
www.Captjim.com is the link.

Just corresponded with him yesterday. You can book through the web site. It also give you his email.

Great guy, great captain and great resourse for all anglers, always happey to talk fishing.

Good luck.

George

·
Administrator
18,673 Posts
I just talked to him this morning. He is sending me updated open dates. Any interest in getting a trip of TFers together?

He said the Tilefish they are catching are as good as Wahoo. They caught over 100 tiles yesterday!

Brandon

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
The UBBB have a trip booked with Jim on 2/16. I'd be game for another deep drop trip. Just be aware that these are 22 - 23 hr trips but well worth the long ride out and back. Also Jim has made arrangements with a few of the motels to offer reduced rates for fishermen. I'm paying around $25.00 a night at the Colonial Inn in Virginia Beach and always stay two nights. Let's get a TF trip together.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hey Graybeard, I still have room on the boat for Saturday March 3rd. Trip is $160.00 PP let me know if you are interested. Rooms at the Colonial Inn are $36.00 a night

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Has anyone been on one for these trips? I'm trying to decide what kind of tackle to bring. I've got Toriums, Avets, Penn GLD's, but I have no idea what the ideal set-up is. I'm assuming it's an all braid deal. Can't wait for March 3rd. I'm usually going nuts by then.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
you are going to be fishing 16-28 oz (or more) in 200+ feet, up and down, up and down. If it was me, cut down lami 7040 to 6 1/2 feet, with the long foregrip matched to a newell 338 spooled with 50lb braid and 20 ft 60 lb ande top shot. Lay the foregrip on the rail and winch to the surface. Its $eaba$$ time!!!

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Hey Lou why don't you come? I've got a 7040 but I'm not cutting it down for one trip.I'm planning on landing a 300# thresher on it with the Avet Sx in the srping. Is the Newell a levelwind? I've got to make do with what I've got cuz I just bought two new 50W 2speeds. You think the Torium or the Avet?

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Eminent Brothers,
How much lead did you say???? Sounds like you need to bring a trolling rod for that much weight. But no matter cause I'm up for it!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
From what I gather the ideal rod is short and strong with a sensitive tip. Nothing light because with that much lead you won't have any power left in the rod for the fish.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I do my fair share of wreck fishing and my favorite set up is a Penn 321 GTI (LH) with power handle spooled with 65# Power Pro braid with about 12' of Ande 40# mono as leader. My rod is a 7' one piece medium heavy action Ande Tournament with a fast tip. This set up is light enough to jig all day yet has the backbone to get the fish out and away from his nook.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
I do my fair share of wreck fishing and my favorite set up is a Penn 321 GTI (LH) with power handle spooled with 65# Power Pro braid with about 12' of Ande 40# mono as leader. My rod is a 7' one piece medium heavy action Ande Tournament with a fast tip. This set up is light enough to jig all day yet has the backbone to get the fish out and away from his nook.
I blew up one of those rods last year setting the hook on a nice fish. I have no idea what kind of fish it was cuz it ran right after the rod exploded and cut me off on the sharp remnents of a guide foot. Be careful with those Ande's they are'nt built too well.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm bringing a St. Croix 6'9" musky rod with a Tica Seaspirit levelwind on it. It's my go to rod for black drum and wrecks. Hey Russ, talked to my dad today and he used this trip as an excuse to buy a Torium so I say go with the Torium not the Avet just because of the high gear ratio on that Shimano.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Chris do you have the premier musky rod? What line rating is it. I was looking at the one in the BPS catalogue the XH 6'9" one. Is that really stout enough to handle 2 pounds of lead plus a fish? I was gonna use it for inshore bassin and togging.

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
I blew up one of those rods last year setting the hook on a nice fish. I have no idea what kind of fish it was cuz it ran right after the rod exploded and cut me off on the sharp remnents of a guide foot. Be careful with those Ande's they are'nt built too well.
Russ I'm disappointed to hear that. I've been using Ande for about 5 yrs and have caught some pretty big fish on them. As a matter of fact soon after I started using Ande I caught a 4 1/2 Mako shark while wreck fishing off of OC. Perhaps your rod had the guides installed against the natural grain of the rod at the factory. That's what normally causes a rod to blow up or the rod is left resting on the rail while being retreived. On the other end I saw a Loomis explode on a shallow drop togging trip. Go figure. I know Ande had a problem at one time because the blank wasn't through the handle. Now you got me just a little concerned but I like it too much to give it up. I know I've been forewarned.:( Guess I'd better have Steve F start building me some off shore jigging rods.;);)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Russ the St. Croix is the PM69HF it's in the Premier line and marketed as a freshwater musky rod. It's rated for 20-50 lb line and 1-5 oz. lures but I think I could cast a cinder block with it. I've bottom fished it with 12 oz. of lead and the rod didn't even notice. This rod is also light as a feather just like my St. Croixs that don't look like broomsticks.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Slipsinker I liked that rod alot before it broke. It was short and had the perfect action for sea bassin. I still misght return it for another of the same rod and just be careful with the drag setting. I think when fishing braid lot of us (or atleast me) tend to fish a drag too heavy for the rod we are using. If you like it then fish it. I doubt you'll put as much pressure as I put on it before it snapped.

Chris that's exactly what I wanted to hear about that rod. I'll be ordering one soon. It's too bad BPS does'nt stock them. Anyone know if Alltackle does?

1 - 20 of 102 Posts