Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a call from Capt. Mark DeBlasio of Canyon Runner Sportfishing. He had an open boat trip on the Hooked Up II running that boat up from Morehead to Virgina Beach for some work at the yard before bringing it up to Cape May for a couple Shark Tournaments and then Pt. Pleasant on June 15 for a full canyon season out of Clark's Landing running the boat there from June 15 to November 1. His report already has us thinking about the 2007 Canyon Season - however based on his report I guess we have to say the canyon season already started!!!!

He left Morehead on an overnighter trip to The Point and found the water temp break right at 100 fathoms at The Point and immediately got into tuna. He ended up trolling 7 bluefin in the 40-50 pound class and 2 yellowfin. Despite fishing The Point, an area where almost everyone fishes ballyhoo, he found the tuna responding best to Canyon Runner Green Machine Spreader Bars (catching 2 bluefin and a yellowfin on them) and our Squid Spreader Bars (cathcing 2 bluefin on them). In addition, he caught a couple on purple jets, 1 on a bonita plug and one on a ballyhoo and missed a few other fish on the bars.

At night is when it really got interesting as he moved off the 500 fathoms (a depth we fish up north during the early canyon season at night) and ending up chunking 3 more yellowfin (2 on jigs) and nailed a nice swordfish. He also drop a nice fish hooked deep on a whole mackeral - he never saw the fish but it fought like a good one.

Perhaps the most intersting thing he saw at night was 2 white marlin that swam right by the boat right through the lights.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys - thanks for the replies.

Ken - yes you are rigth. Mark had 4 of our spreader bars out all day and had a ton more bites on them but did not come tight. We have never trolled a minute in the last 18 years without at least 2 of them in the water and usually pull at least 3.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Right on CR. In 2006 we started pulling no less than four bars; all off our outriggers. The rest of the spread was built around the bars, to complement the bars. We have been having great reports and great results with 16 inch bars. I was wondering if you guys have tried thes smaller bars and what your thoughts are?
Ken

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Ken .. we have not tried the smaller bars .. we build on a 36" bar. We use a light bar and a medium bar depending uopn the lures and the action we want. I always troll 4 bars these days (all off the riggers) and there is no doubt they not only raise the fish in larger numbers , but they catch more than single lures in our spread. I had my best success this weekend on the green machine bar and Purple 9" squid bar. The fish were loaded with
7" - 9" squid, so trolling the bars would make sense. I should be out there trolling some new bars between seminars , weather permitting ...

Mark
Canyon Runner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.