Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to find out of anyone out there has had similiar problems with their Evinrude outboard and what they did about it. I have a 1997 Evinrude 225. I've had a problem all Spring/Summer with idling. Motor starts great and idles up fine to get to proper operating temp. When it drops down to 700 rpms it sounds like it sneezes and cuts off. Cranks right back up. Seems to get better once I'm out running it but is a pain getting out of the dock. Also seem to be losing some RPMs at WOT. Could this be carb problems?

Thanks for all the advice you guys give.

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
Until you said it's losing RPM's at WOT, I was going to ask that when you say it starts right back up - do you reprime it by squeezing the primer bulb? If so, and it's idling rough, stalling at low rpm's, or lugging when trying to get up to speed, you might want to diagnose the bulb before attacking the carbs or fuel system. You can diagnose whether it's the bulb by by-passing it with a portable tank. If the problem goes away using this method, replace the bulb and go from there. You can also "test" the bulb by pumping it while the engine is acting up. If the engine smooths out, the bulb is suspect. If the problem stays, you're off in another direction. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
636 Posts
"Sneezing" is a sign of lean running ... very bad for motor's health. Typical cause is fouled carb(s). Probably time for a completely cleaning/rebuild of all carbs. Can also be caused by air intrusion into the fuel pump suction side tubing (loose clamp(s), fuel restriction (bad antisiphon valve, crimped fuel line, etc.), air leak into crankcase, etc.

Shop manual (OEM) would be very helpful, since it usually has a well organized checklist of thing to look for and a lot of "how to" info.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.