Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a wild hair up my you know what and pulled the old pearson spoiler out of its resting place that its been guarding for the last 5 yrs.. Thought i would up grade it a little so i did something i never do with out asking a lot of questions first. I bought the new style whisker biscuit arroe rest and 6 carbon arrows. ( beman ics hunter 400 8.4gpi ) is what the guy at the shop told me i needed.
I know nothing about carbon arrows or what size broad heads to use . I have a doz. 125 gr thunder heads but the guy at the shop said i need to be shooting 90 or 100 gr. Is this true? and did he sell me the right arrow. shooting 60 lbs. with a 31 in. arrow. They are shooting good. Yeah, i know i'm shooting an antique , but it was top of the line in 1990 and has taken many deer and turkeys. And it was smiling big time when i took it out the closet. [grin]

·
Registered
110 Posts
If its quiet, and shoots good, then more power to ya. I too am hunting with a relic, but its very quiet and still packs a mean wallop. Hit'n the mark is what still matters.

Hook1

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
With an older peice that don't have the speed new bows do 100 grain heads will do you better. I would reccomend 3 blade Muzzy's. They do me well.

DEAN

·
Registered
659 Posts
BH,
Stand tall when you shoot that bow. If its the one with the gray camo and is call Spoiler Plus you are holding a legend. They were some of the toughest bow ever made. It might not shoot 300 fps, but is will kill anything you shoot at. Most likely there will be a pass thru. I just happen to have a few of them myself. As for the weight of your broadhead, Whatever you feel good with. Either will do the job and do it well. Good Luck on the BIG ONE.
Bubba [excited][excited][excited][excited][excited][excited]

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with ketch on the muzzys! They haven't let me down so far. I've been shooting for a long time and the grain broadhead really doesn't matter, it's what you feel comfortable with. I shoot tourneys so of course I'm shooting 75's, overdraw and a 25" arrow with a PARKER at 79# 310-315fps! I have shot deer with a 150gr broadhead and works fine. If you want a little bit more speed then you ought to shoot a 75-90 but theres no prob with a 125. >>>>------------------> Happy hunting! by the way, what archery shop did you go to? My uncle ownes Pats sporting goods!

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
As long as the first shot goes where you aim it, don't worry about grains or lengths or spine or speed. If it shoot well, forget the charts. Just use a sharp broadhead.

The only thing is watch the string. If it has been setting for 5 years, it could cause you trouble (breaking). Might be time for a new one.

Good luck, I had a Spoiler once also.

Dayton

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
The arrow spine needs to be matched to the draw weight and the weight of the head. The broadhead weight can be swapped out to balance out the other two factors in the equation although you could tinker with the draw weight a little to get everything in balance.

Remember, The more draw weight and the heavier the broadhead, the more flex in the arrow that needs to straighten out to fly straight. If you reduce some of the broadhead weight you reduce some of that torque on the arrow. Look at the Beman chart and you can figure it out yourself.

I have a PSE from 1994 that I shoot Carbon Epxress Carbons with 100gr. tips out of. It's set at 65# and I am able to shoot 2" groups out to 30 yards with 1 pin. Also equipped with a Whisker Biscuit.

As long as you have it sighted in at all distances out to 30 yds, you're good to go. I personnaly wouldn't go any further with 60# and 125gr. Like Ranger said, make the first shot count, and the closer to 30 you are, aim a little lower, in case the deer drops a bit. Use feathers with the biscuit. I came across a very comprehensive review when I bought mine and the longer the fletching the more speed lost with vanes suffering the most.

http://www.fastestbows.com/reviews/biscuit_turbo_nock.html

http://www.turbonock.com/

This wasn't the sight but had some interesting stuff in it. Apparently the BS whisker biscuit is supposed to be far superior in terms of drag on flecthcing than the originals.Anybody hear or use the Turbo Nocks mentioned in the article. Sounds very interesting.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I doubt many people actually have well tuned arrows. For the general archer, I think whatever you get used to and are comfortable with, stick with it. I just switched from shooting 100gr. broadheads to 125's simply because my bow is quieter with the added weight. Amazingly, out to 40 yards, I did not have to adjust my pins at all. Point of impact did not change more than about a 1/4".

I too like Muzzy. I hate when you take broadheads off and they fall apart.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rod Bender, I bought the stuff at Bob moats gun shop on 360 . I had to go there to take my 4 yr old browning gold hunter for him to check out. The last two yrs i had to set the gun over a heater in the blind, or in the sun for it to close up after i shot it.Only does it when its cold or( when 10 mallards are locked up in the decoys.)LOL I hope he can find out whats wrong.Called browning and they sent me to him.
I've had deer duck the arrow on me before. I'll tell you what.....if one ducks that lighting bolt coming off that spoiler he's the man. Only been shoting the carbon for two days and i like it so far. there're fast and hit hard.[grin]

·
Registered
339 Posts
[Q]Bass_hunter originally wrote:
Rod Bender, I bought the stuff at Bob moats gun shop on 360 . I had to go there to take my 4 yr old browning gold hunter for him to check out. The last two yrs i had to set the gun over a heater in the blind, or in the sun for it to close up after i shot it.Only does it when its cold or( when 10 mallards are locked up in the decoys.)LOL I hope he can find out whats wrong.Called browning and they sent me to him.
I've had deer duck the arrow on me before. I'll tell you what.....if one ducks that lighting bolt coming off that spoiler he's the man. Only been shoting the carbon for two days and i like it so far. there're fast and hit hard.[grin]
[/Q]

Bass Hunter,
Sent you a b-mail regrading the gold hunter. I have the same problem. Let me know how this turns out for you.

Thanks,
Rapprunner

·
Registered
156 Posts
Bass Hunter, next time your in the area stop by Pats. My future cousin is the bow tech there and he can virtualy fix or answer any problems or questions you might have. And it's probably a little closer to ya. His name is Mike but we call him HOBO!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts