Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is one that has got me scratching my head. 2002 Carbureted Mercury 150 outboard will no longer start in the tilted up position, the ball will not get hard and it will not even fire. (This is making it tough for operating in shallow waters) If I put it in the vertical position then everything is fine and she fires right off. Anybody worked through a similar problem or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
No longer start in up right.. ?? will it start down. ( qickie guess) I suspect float (s) are sticking..
Have you checked plugs after no start? ( they would be wet - may smell gas when cranking and afterward)

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Here is one that has got me scratching my head. 2002 Carbureted Mercury 150 outboard will no longer start in the tilted up position, the ball will not get hard and it will not even fire. (This is making it tough for operating in shallow waters) If I put it in the vertical position then everything is fine and she fires right off. Anybody worked through a similar problem or have any suggestions?
Dave - From my experience the only problem you are having is with the ball not getting hard, I have owned several Merc carb engines and NONE of them (from 20 to 150hp) wanted to start with the motor "up". I would always have to tilt the engine "back" so that the fuel would drain into the engine from the carb in order for them to start.

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
I'm wondering if the ball is anti siphoning?Try it with a remote tank and new ball.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Whay year? some older mercs had a switch that prevented them from being started if tilted too far..

·
Registered
294 Posts
it is because of the needle and seat. if you have a carburetor this keeps the float from calling for fuel. therefore none to pump. also, yes on my mercurys, the fuel bulb will not firm. a characteristic of the needle and seat not passing fuel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts