Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need info:

Interested in buying a Carman made boat and the seller says it is fiberglass over plywood. This seller is not an experienced boater.

I thought that all Carman's were solid glass and just the floors, cabins, gunwhales, etc. were over wood.

Any info is appreciated. I haven't seen it yet, but would not be interested if the hull is over ply.

Thanks,

DD

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hey DD,

Just like the Jefferson's - Moving on up! You better pay for the wedding first. Everyone I talked to that is going is not partying on the 31st, they are waiting on the 3rd. You know me, I'll have 2 reasons to party that day.

Did you see the bank repo Carman in the paper recently?

Later,

Cattail

·
Registered
385 Posts
Need info:

Interested in buying a Carman made boat and the seller says it is fiberglass over plywood. This seller is not an experienced boater.

I thought that all Carman's were solid glass and just the floors, cabins, gunwhales, etc. were over wood.

Any info is appreciated. I haven't seen it yet, but would not be interested if the hull is over ply.

Thanks,

DD
Carman built a lot of work boats that were glass over plywood. I think it's called cold molded.
A lot of Carolina off shore boats were built that way.
As with all boats, they should be inspected by a Marine Surveyor before you buy.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
It depends on what year carman boat it is, the earlier years were glass over wood hulls

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks All. It is a '97 and I am thinking it is not solid.

Cattail-wedding's been paid for, this is the logical next step!

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber - I support Tidal
4,757 Posts
scottdd1: Please send me an email with exactally what type of catamaran, motor(s) sizes, year, ect. I have been guiding on catamarans size 2001 and can give you some answers. The email will get to me a lot faster than a bmail. I don't open up TidalFish.com like I use too.

Opps! My mistake.

Tight Lines,
Capt. Tom Hughes
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
26,229 Posts
Cut him some slack - must not have washed the saltwater off his glasses :D.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I own a 1992 32' Carman , it's not solid glass but glass over a pressure treated frame coverd in marine plywood. I've had her for about 8 years .No problems with the hull. The side sliding windows suck, they leak,going to replace them. All things considerd it's been a great fishing boat for the money. I gave 16,000 for it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Glass over wood is not the same as a cold-molded "wood" boat at all. Cold-molded boats are made of thin veneer plywood coated in epoxy (waterproof) every step of the way. The custom sportfish boats built in North Carolina are typically cold-molded boats. Buddy Davis, Scarborough, etc. This is typically the lightest, stiffest, strongest type of construction there is. There is a huge difference, read up on it. Not that a glass over wood boat is necessarily bad.
-Face

·
Tidal Fish Commercial Subscriber
226 Posts
The Carman I have was the plug for the mold. It is made from c-flex. It was layed up in 1999. I believe all Carmans made after mine are fiberglass. I know several guys who have the glass over wood made by Carman and to my knowledge they have had no major problems. No matter what you should have it surveyed so they can tell you what you are getting. Burt Shaffner 301-855-4784 is the surveyer I suggest. He is located near Chesapeake Beach in Owings Md.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts