Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just daydreaming on a cold winters day.Is there anyone with real world experience that has spent enough time on these 2 vessels to compare the roll on the drift.I love my alby and the next logical step up will probably be the cc 28 with tower.If im accustomed to the alby 24 snap roll (pretty over rated imo)will the carolina be similar.They are both known for the roll just wondering how they compare to each other in that sense.Thanks.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a snap roll caused by momentum from the previous roll if u will.Kinda a snap back and forth.Shear physics.24 degree deadrise does not sit stable.Not noticable if calm.That being said,my next boat will probably be 24 degree deadrise as well.I troll,chunk overnight,bottomfish you name it.I tell everyone if the roll bothers you that bad offshore fishing may not be for you.Theres nothing easy about it,especially from a 24 fter.IMO the trade off is 100% worth it IF....you have long distance runs in open ocean in your plans.I canyon fish every other weekend,kill the same fish as 60 footers and do it on a blue collar budget.Theres a reason Alby 24s have a cult like following.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I totally agree with the small boat offshore as I do it in a 24 chaparrel quite a bit. As for the 28 classic it has more of a slow exaggerated roll instead of a
Quick snappy rolling, if you have diesels its not near as bad as gas engines due to the weight and the tower boats have more roll because center of gravity is higher

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I've owned a 28 for 10 years but have no experience on your model. Roll rarely bothers me unless you are in a bit of a steeper beam sea. I'm guessing the much higher gross weight probably reduces the "snap". Buy one, you will like it very much. I don't do much deep dropping offshore but I do fish the triangles and its fairly comfortable, but I also don't vertical fish unless the seas are fairly calm, 2-3 foot. Mine is an '01 with Cummins, if you ever want a tour I'm at marina shores and live a couple miles away, text or call me at 757-560-3828, my name is Jim, boat is FLY'N FISH. If you want a new 28 I am pretty sure you can get Keith Privott to build you one even though they are now "Albemarle, the Carolina Classic" and don't advertise the model anymore. You'd have a one of a kind, an original CC28, with Albemarle logos.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jim id love to see her but im in Baltimore,quite the drive.I am in no way ready to buy and will prob never be in a position to buy new.That being said my next boat will either be a 28 classic or 28 alby.Fishing from my 24 should toughen me up and the eventual upgrade will be tremendous.There are so many happy cc 28 owners it seems if you do your homework and buy right you cannot go wrong.Seems like the best reviews are with the cummins 6bta 330s.My alby 24 is great and has opened windows ive dreamed of for many years.Ive had great success the past couple years on this little boat.A 28 twin diesel would be like a 40 footer in my world and i really look forward to the day i can pull it off.Until then ill keep gettin it done in my pocket sportfisher.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
The Cummins 6BTA are a tight fit in the 28 Carolina Classic. I would go with the Yanmar 6LYA (315-350hp), much better fit for that engine room. Between the 28 Carolina Classic and the 27 Albemarle, I would take the Carolina Classic ever time.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I own an albe and have fished on a couple of 28's CC . both are stable boats , I would buy the Classic if I was going to do it again . 330 cummins are the power of choice will give you a fast cruse of 30 knots at about 130 gal burn on a canyon trip .

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys nice to hear solid feedback.Good info albyman,seems to be the most common concencus,"i love my alby but...Both great boats id sell my soul for either.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tunafisher ive never really tried a sea anchor tho ive thought about it,never been a major issue to me.Is the theory to deploy the sea anchor off the bow and keep the nose into the seas instead of catching them beam therefore reducing the roll?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts