Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished watching COJ and today's show was Summer Time Crappie fishing, on Kerr/Bugs Island. It was filmed in July. The two fishermen were casting over brush and stumps in 7 to 8 FOW. Water temp was in the low 80's and the wind was blowing harder then it did in my report. They said the crappie are not usually found this shallow at this time of the year with the water temps as high as they are but, the shad schools had for some reason came in shallow and the crappie had followed them in. Now they did catch a mess of fish and they kept saying; "Now that's a good eating size crappie." Best I could guess most all the fish caught looked to me to be in the 7 to 8" range. A throw back for Ron and I. Biggest fish of the day he held up, looked to be maybe 9". They were using Ultra Light rods and reels with 4lb line. They had a blue, curley tail jig with yellow head and tail. He never mention it but there was a minnow bucket sitting on the floor of the boat with the lid open. :rolleyes: Even seen them reach into the minnow bucket and put something onto the hook but never said what that was. I did not recognize anything in the back ground as to where on the lake they were fishing but my guess would be Nutbush.

Acey

·
Registered
839 Posts
I watched it acey, was just about to post about it, that guy was in dinkville. Did you notice not one time did he let his jig sink before retrieving. And was reeling rather fast.

On an interesting side note I fished 2 lakes yesterday in Suffolk and slayed em on both lakes, had around 100 brought home a nice limit. And a few 3lb bass, one stray kitty on a jig. Not bad for a rainy day with no live bait.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PP: I think it was the fisherman closest to the camera, not the one on the trolling motor, who mention something about how many jigs he was loosing in the brush. Of course they didn't show him being hung up so much but it would explain why he was not letting his jig sink before starting his retrieve. At the start of the show the younger fishermen who was on the trolling motor, did say they were counting down to 5 on their cast because the top of brush wasn't very deep down. Dinkville is correct. Linda; my wife, even before I said something about the size of the fish, she said, once they caught a few; "Those fish look very small to me, to be eating size crappie." :photo4:

Acey

1 - 3 of 3 Posts