Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Guys,Went out Saturday.Met up with Steve F,He was tryin' some early Spots and I went to try and catch some Spot.Hit Dollys in the dark.Did'nt really mark much of nothin',One problem was tryin' to see the Crab Pots.So I abandoned that idea and hit the Pipe to try for some,no go where I found them last week.:wacko:played around for awhile and went back to Dollys,Current was RIPPIN" big time!

Had 3 ounces of weight on for Spot!I knew I should Anchor,but with the Tide rippin' like it was and being Solo,I did'nt feel like the hassle.Saw Mark[Baldzilla] Frantically tryin' to keep Bait on the Hooks and thought again,I really need to Anchor!Thru out my Drift Sock which slowed me down a bit and still could'nt get 'em.So I said the He!! with it.

Ended up between 84 and 88 half the day catchin' Blues.Nothing exciting or fast and furious.Steve F took off around NoonI was still at 88 when I turn and look East and now I have about 12 *()%&*'ing Blow Boats headin' Straight at me!I said ,Screw 'em and stood my ground!!!Had one pass about 10 feet off my Bow and another off the Stern that I could have reached out and touched!They had a Race and the Channel markers were the Turn points!

So before I kinda "Lost It",I figured I better head out of there.One good thing about gettin' older,Sometimes you get wiser!Not too many years ago,it would have been "Game On"!!!!Hit the Eastern Rockpile and had about 2-3 Boats there,Started Jiggin Metal and hookin' up with the "Blues".Few more Boats arrive and all are hookin' up.Don't know what it was,Maybe the Seagull that Sh!t on my Shoulder for Good Luck or what!

But I was Slammin' those Blues Like no tomorrow,Had to be catchin' 4-5 to everybody elses 1.Had some real nice ones in the mix also.Told myself to leave,BUT the "Catchin" was addictive!Stayed there till almost 5 o'clock.I had to have caught at least 100 Blues!Oh and I DID finally get my Stripes!One 17"er.Also Jigged up a Giant Toadfish,Biggest that I ever caught as far as I remember.

One older couple in a Trophy were gettin' one here and there,Saw a Fellow give them one.As I was leavin',I headed over and asked them if they would like some more and they said sure.Started to load my Net up from the Live-well.....Damn...Must of had 20 Blues in there! I gave them all of them,My wrist was hurtin' so much,I was'nt going to clean all of them. Came Home and when I went to take a Shower,The right side of my Stomach and Chest looked like someone beat me with a Slap-Jack!It was from puttin' the Butt of the Rod there while reelin' in all those Blues!

They were so thick that some of the ones caught were snagged.I teel ya',Snaggin' a 15' Blues Fish....Seems like you have a 40" Rock on there tryin' to bring in!!!They are some REALLY powerfull Swimmers.Another GREAT Day,liked to have had some Keeper Stripes...But any day ON the Water is a Good Day for me!! [Mike]

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.
2,946 Posts
Mike it was good seeing you out there. Sounds like I should have gone north instead of south. You are right it is amazing hard a foul hooked blue pulls.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother and fellow Blues hater
Well messing with Blues is better then messing with the SKUNK!!! The current was ripping on Friday too....what's going on here???

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Mike, Those blues can be a blast when they get to that 20" stage. Glad to see you had some fast action and just use lots of ice on the sore spots.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Hey Mike,everyone hates those blues but they do provide some fun at least.Wasn't able to get out all weekend like I planed to:censored:

GB The moon is 92%full right now and that usually makes the tides high and the current rip.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Mike,
Good seeing you even if only from afar...tried to call you on the VHF a little later into our bite, but didnt know if you had turned it off. Unfortunately I had left your number at home...glad you got out there...and you are right, anchoring makes a huge difference..especially in that wind and current yesterday!

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Glad you had a nice day on the water. Good to see you out there. We hooked a bunch of blues and a couple of undersized rock under the bridge. We only had two poles and a tray of stingsilvers on us.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
It was good seeing you out there Mike, to bad we could not find any of those stripped fish but those blues can be fun to catch. We did find some stripers first thing in the morning, at least that what the FF looked like but we could not get them to hit. Hope to see you on the water next week and I "WILL" beat you to the ramp, missed it by 2mins. :D All by the way, the reason I could not get any of those stripers to bite it was because the glare from your boat must have blinded them damn your boat was shining.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'm with ya'...when you haven't been fishing in a while, any species of pullage and consistent action is the way to shake the dust off. :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,283 Posts

Nice work to keep the Bay safe for truth justice and the American Way

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jerry,Nice seein' ya' also,Nice Boat you have there!

Graybeard,John,I said in another post that I wished the Blues would leave.Well I guess yesterday I felt like a Crack Addict!Wanted to leave,but could'nt!:D

Jack,It was a blast for pullage anyway.I could'nt get 'em off the hook fast enough.Looked like I was a commercial meat Fisherman.The couple I gave them to,Everytime I looked over to their Boat,The Lady was watching me.Guess She thought I was some kind of Nut!:D:DYou'd drop a Jig down in 30 ft. of water ,it drop about 15 ft. or so ,then stop.The Jig was hittin' the Blues and could'nt get thru the School it was so thick!

Roger,You would have had a blast with those Blues!

Baldzilla..Mark,I was going to come up to ya',but it looked like you had your hands full.Did'nt want to spook the Fish.I must of been runnin'when you called,can't hear the radio when runnin'.NEXT time I see ya' out there,I'm going to tie off to your stern,so I can get some Spot!!:D I would have anchored,Don't have a problem doing it Solo.But I'm having problems with my right shoulder and I knew it may take a couple trys.

Greg,Thats all the Tackle you needed!That Judge is SURE a Pretty Boat!!!

Steve,I did get a 17"er!You won't beat me to the ramp IF Phil goes!:D:DMost likely won't be out next weekend and I'm SURE the Spot will be gone by the Time I get out again.Getting a new Sofa and Chair,have to clean carpets and take old stuff to my B/L's.Then SundayInstall new Furniture and put everything back.:wacko:

Bob,I waxed the Boat Friday after I got home from work!Ask Steve!:D

H.J.,Not many times ya' run into Schools that thick,Like I said,I just could'nt leave!!:))

John,How are ya' doin?Hows your Family?Need to get you back out there so you can catch up with that 40" Rockfish.:D:D

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Thanks Mike mom is still waiting to get scheduled for surgery (Hurry up and wait suxs not being up there pulling in favors) She will know soon I hope so I got the horses all fueled up and my bag packed to head north. Sounds good to get back out there

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Brian (Scootin) and I went out from the Patapsco Sat AM and found stripers and blues up to 20" inside key bridge, so we stayed around. I caught all my fish on a 3/4oz hopkins shorty which I had to re tie the bucktail to the single hook as the blues chewed the bucktail down to the thread..

A 20"er puts up a great fish and they sometimes jump!.. I don't know how we brought in those SLAMMMER blues at the CBBT a couple years ago?!:

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brian (Scootin) and I went out from the Patapsco Sat AM and found stripers and blues up to 20" inside key bridge, so we stayed around. I caught all my fish on a 3/4oz hopkins shorty which I had to re tie the bucktail to the single hook as the blues chewed the bucktail down to the thread..

I 20"er puts up a great fish and they sometimes jump!.. I don't know how we brought in those SLAMMMER blues at the CBBT a couple years ago?!:
If the River is turning on,it will be time to save some Fuel!!Did ya' look at that Boat?

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Great job on the catchin!!! :thumbup:

BTW- my boat needs a wax job...do you do mobile service??????? :D:eek:

Andy

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hey Nice Work there Mike....I stayed busy myself inside the bridge all morning saturday....30 to 3 blues over rock....went back up to the fort for a while and watched the marathoners....home early....lets hook up soon....your boat or mine...bill

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Nice Work there Mike....I stayed busy myself inside the bridge all morning saturday....30 to 3 blues over rock....went back up to the fort for a while and watched the marathoners....home early....lets hook up soon....your boat or mine...bill
Bill,I'm game!We can compare Shoulders,see who's hurts the most!:D Mines gettin' alot worse lately,Startin' to feel the Back again also.May not be long now.:wacko:At least ya' got some Stripes!I had one at 17".Had about a 12" Toadfish,Jigged it up.Had it in my Live-well since Sat.Thought about havin' it mounted ,it was so big!Actually it was still alive and well when I came home today,Took it to the Hospital and let it go! Lets get Fishin'!! [Mike]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts