Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time I was at Bass Pro, I was checking out these rods and was very impressed by the feel, weight (or lack of weight) and price ($150). They are listed as freshwater rods. I was wondering if anyone has used one of these for jigging rock? If not....dose anyone have a brackish/salt equivalent? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I haven't, but I use similar freshwater rods all the time. Guides and hardware is what you have to watch. Wash 'em down occasionally. I believe that style rod is the future of jigging as well as any number of freshwater applications. BTW, I noticed BPS is already sold out of 6'8" medium ex-fast carrot sticks. In my book, that's the winner. Just wish they made 'em in a different color!

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
For the same money you can get a St. Criox rod built for saltwater plus carrot stix just sounds funny :D.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
Shawn I bought the Tournament Edition St Croix Legend 6'8 XF and last week on a mid twenty fish the tip broke right off. I returned it. I'm not sure that rod can handle a 40"+ Rockfish. FYI.
I might give the Carrot Stix a try. Or I'll just stay with my old St Croix Avid 6'8" M XF they work and have been tested for quite a few years now without any problems whats so ever.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have really enjoyed the E21 MH carrot stick! The reserve power on the rod is very impressive and the tip is fast action. This carrot thing is interesting and I can tell you the rod is really super strong. I enjoy using a super light outfit when I am out jigging for eight plus hours a day. I think that the Shimano Calcutta rod is far better than the Avids, I own both. :cool2:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A guy at Bass Pro was showing me the dynamics of how the rod bends differently than others, and how you can feel the slightest taps pulsing through the rod by holding it to his throat and humming (yea it was kind of weird) but none the less I was impressed. I have nothing in my arsenal even close. After getting the ok from the jigging guru Mr. Kimbro......I think I may just pick one up. Thinking of matching it up with a Pflueger Supreme XT, Daiwa Sol, or Stradic spooled with 10lb braid.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
A guy at Bass Pro was showing me the dynamics of how the rod bends differently than others, and how you can feel the slightest taps pulsing through the rod by holding it to his throat and humming (yea it was kind of weird) but none the less I was impressed. I have nothing in my arsenal even close. After getting the ok from the jigging guru Mr. Kimbro......I think I may just pick one up. Thinking of matching it up with a Pflueger Supreme XT, Daiwa Sol, or Stradic spooled with 10lb braid.
tap, pulsing, stiff, sensitive rod in the throat?....:eek: How exactly do you guys jig?:D:jackthread:

·
Registered
503 Posts
I originally looked at the Shimano Cumaras and they are a bit too high modulus for me, I find the IM 10 a bit too fragile. This being said I am four years into a MH Kistler Helium rod that is and always will be my favorite, It is way expensive, and as I understand fragile, but I have caught thousands of stripers on it. It weighs 3 oz, and I put a Diawa Fuego magnesium reel on it, and you just have to try a super light ,strong, and sensitive rod combo for all day fishing. I have landed several over 35's with no problems. The Shimano Calcutta is the TC4 construction which is part fiberglass tape, no extra weight penalty, but a toughness and reserve that wont quit. I have Two of them and a Ho hit the tip of one with a Stingsilver on a cast and the hook went right into the tip top and snapped it off not so clean. I removed 4 inches and turned it from a 6' 9" to a 6' 5". It is my favorite top water rod now, it improved it in my opinion, I was leery of it for a while, since it had some serious rod rash from the Stingsilver hit along the last 10", but an encounter with a 38" put the worry from my mind. I just picked up a Shimano Terramar TC4 7' Xfast tip for late CBBT over 35"s and general Montauk fishing. Pairing it with a Shimano Sustain 4000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts