Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are easier ways to catch one, but has anyone tried to cast net some of the large menhaden in the bay. I suppose you could fish one of those big 10'' menhaden just like an eel.
Any ideas guys?

Mike

·
Registered
267 Posts
I'd highly recommend it. Drop them from the net into the live well. One bait per gallon of water. These are fragile baits that don't handle well. You cannot leave them out of the water like a mud minnow or mullet bait. Don't hook them thru both lips as they will die quick. Slow troll. anchor or drift them.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Cast nets work good near the surface, and I don't know how many menhaden are at the surface this time of year. If they are, then they have rock chasing them, and I would rather cast a line than a net when that happens!

Good Luck, in your endeavors and report back on your success of nabbing some fresh bunkers with a cast net.

-makoman

·
Registered
382 Posts
try to find bait balls in 15-20' MAX, when you do, throw the boat in reverse just a tad, then back in gear, just a tad, and throw your net off the front of the boat.....make sure you have HEAVY weights on the net, you should be OK if you do it this way.:fishing2:

·
Registered
108 Posts
when netting bait like this in deeper water that is suspended 10-15 ft are you guys letting the net hit the bottom (say down to loike 30-40 ft)?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes; I've thrown on bait balls several times and all I got was a wet net! Maybe I don't have enough lead. Still, I would love to drop a big old Menhaden down and just hang on!

Boy oh boy, I can't wait until the piggies show up!:clap:

Mike

·
Registered
311 Posts
It's hard to net bunker in deep water, especially if the water is clear. I think the idea is awesome...I wish I could aquire some for striper fishing...good luck, and I would like to know if you get into them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
cast a weighted treble hook through the bait ball, typically an easy snag on a bunker, and if the fish are feeding in that area it won't take long to feel something bigger gulp it down. it works.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Contact Us | Home > Regulation Index > Regulation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

REGULATION: PROHIBITS THE SNAGGING OF FISH

REGULATION: PROHIBITS THE SNAGGING OF FISH

PREAMBLE

This regulation prohibits the snagging of fish .

This regulation is promulgated pursuant to authority contained in § 28.2-201 of the Code of Virginia. This regulation amends and readopts previous Regulation 450-01-0097 that was adopted on October 26, 1993 and was effective on November 1, 1993. The effective date of this regulation is April 12, 1995.

4 VAC 20-740-10. Purpose.

The purpose of this chapter is to reduce snagging injuries and mortalities to finfish in Virginia waters, and to preserve the public safety by prohibiting the practice of snagging.

4 VAC 20-740-20. Snagging prohibited.

It shall be unlawful for any person to take or to attempt to take any finfish by means of snagging.

4 VAC 20-740-30. Penalty.

As set forth in § 28.2-903 of the Code of Virginia, any person violating any provision of this chapter shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor, and a second or subsequent violation of any provision of this chapter committed by the same person within 12 months of a prior violation is a Class 1 misdemeanor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts