Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one try to keep up with who is keeping the big catfish. I think it would be a good idea if we could some how list the person and the boat they use ( picture would be nice ) ever week I see at least 5 catfish over 30 lbs dead in some ones boat or boats. Another thing in the last year I have seen alot of big catfish taking trips to lake gaston, kerr and private ponds to me that is the same as killing the fish, Ive got family on gaston and kerr and most of them say if the guys on the lake catch it they eatem. If we could list the ones killing the big catfish we should also list the bait stores and taxidermists etc I know Surf Side bait and tackle and Vaughans taxidermists believes you should kill every one you catch.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Whats the plan when we have a list made? I agree that way to many big kats are being taken by lots of uneducated or just plain dumb people. I cant imagine what big kats even taste like. :censored:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am not for keeping any big old cat, especially one that has been spending its life in the James. But, aren't you gettin a little carried away? Post pictures and names of people that are legally catching and keeping a fish?:eek2: I saw in the paper where Hopewell Marina is looking for a volunteer harbor master. Maybe you can patrol the waters like Wyatt Earp and start boarding and searching boats for boats that are keeping catfish.:D

·
Registered
887 Posts
I do not think there are as many large cats in the James as people think. Removing the small ones within moderation would be good but the bigs ones should be released unharmed. I am sure the blue collar white man has removed a many of big cat from the James over the years.

·
Registered
519 Posts
they aren't doing anything illegal.... what your proposing could open yourself up to legal action if you did this.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Oh the drama!!! Imagine, people killing catfish!!!! We must keep lists!!!They must not get away with this!!! Keeping lists of catfish killers seems a bit Orwellian. I enjoy catch and release of giant catfish, but lets face a fact...they are too many of them. I snagged 2 of them on sunday casting sabiki's for shad. One of my favorite croaker spots in the Rapahannock is overrun with catfish. I would encourage people to cull the population a bit. I routinely keep 5 - 10 pounders for food. As for the health risks...screw em. The govt/media feeds us more fear propaganda regarding mercury, second hand smoke, SARS, bird flu, cancer causing cell phones, killer bees, global warning etc..that I don't believe any of it

·
Registered
365 Posts
To clarify..I didn't mean too many giant catfish... Ijust meant too many overall. By the way, I kept and ate a 27lber last january. Tasted pretty good.

·
Registered
421 Posts
How come if we catch any fish in the James River between Richmond and the HRB with a rod and reel the fish are not fit for consumption, but if a commercial fisherman catches tjhen in a net they are just ok to eat. does a net purify them somehow? just doesnt make sense to me but maybeesomeone can enlighten me.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sweet a "witch hunt" for fish eaters or should we start a network that makes them put it on their licence plate "fish molester" or maybe a nation wide network to let u know if a fish eater lives in your area!!!!LOL IMO we should all promote CPR as we have proven to our states law makers that a have changed the laws to help limit this from happening! But on that same note this is AMERICA!!!! Where we are free to do as each person pleases within the law. So we should do what we can to promote the sport and make people aware of the issues of pollution and over fishing. Lastly we should all MIND OUR OWN BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin, I personally appreciate your concern, but IMO this is the wrong way to go about this issue. Lets try to educate more and accuse less. There are 1000's of us trying to promote CPR and lets try to get it out there without causing issue's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Madcatter

Kevin, this issue is being fought hot and heavy on the Rapp. with the trotliners. We had a meeting with two fellows from the VDGIF about all the illeagal fish being taken by commerical means. They have stepped up their efforts to let them know that they are also only allowed to keep 1 fish over 32 inches, per, person,per day. I'll get a few flyers made up with the regs. and post them where I can. I can hit Surf Side and a few others. If they won't let me post the new laws then I will quit spending my money there. Some people just don't know that there is a law.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If people are keeping fish according to VDGIF regs., then they are not doing anything wrong.

Catfish are good to eat, with a little kepone, mercury, salt, pepper, House Autry Breader and deep fried.:chef: :chef: :D

If you are within your rights to keep them, then you can keep them.

Don't discourage people from fishing if they want to keep fish, some people have never caught a fish that weighs 25lbs. Let them keep them, and hopefully they will be "hooked" and take a friend or kid fishing and keep our sport alive.

Black listing our fellow fisherman for doing what fishing is all about(catching fish) is counter productive. Promote fishing and it will be around for your grandkids kids when they want some fun.

Don't lose sight of the big picture, it is all for fun!

Brad

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have a commercial license and Ive been guideing for 14 years so these big catfish do mean alot to me. Its not as many big catfish as alot of people think. I have talked with the 3 commercial catfish guys and begged them not to keep the big cats. For the last two years they all have told me they would not target the big ones. I know alot of the boats that are keeping these big cats so when I see them I will call my friends and we all will leave the area. I screwed up 4 years ago and let the guys from Lynchburg see me fishing in Tar Bay I had fished Tar Bay for 10 years and always caught big fish it took them two weeks to wipe the fish almost all the way out. The guys im talking about are called the Lynchburg killers when they come its about 5-6 boats.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Catfish Killers BS

This is typical of a commercial fisherman. Everyone stop fishing so I can catch more so I can make more money. This guy could care less about a catfish. Its all about money. The James River is full of catfish. You should look at the light pools at night in the flats. There are thousands of cats up at the surface, some big some small. Get over yourself and just go fishing.

Post a picture of your boat first so we can see who you are to check your catch.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Striper Joe...

Do you realize that you are agreeing with a guy who starts his post with We should make a list of people and boats(pictures is possible) that are keeping big catfish? And then you don't want someone checking you boat! Make up your mind you can't have it both ways.

Also if you think that a commercial fisherman is not in business to make money you must have never heard of Omega Protein that is constantly under fire for depleting the Menhaden stocks in the bay. Menhaden are the prefered food for Stripers Joe!

It is legal to catch and keep a catfish any size you want and for someone to start making a list is rediculous. I agree that a big cat is good for nothing but bragging rights and a picture is worth a thousand words.

Good luck fishing.

·
Registered
650 Posts
catfish

What is this guy talking about, taking pictures of of fisherman catching catfish legally and posting it on a web page. I am all for C&R, and i let almost all of the fish go, but to single out a captain catching and keeping a legal catfish is F----k up. I would like to see all big catfish let go, but it is up to the fisherman who caught the fish to do what he want's to do with the fish. Commercial fishing is a real fast way to ruin a body of water, just my view. Have a good day.

·
Registered
556 Posts
This is typical of a commercial fisherman. Everyone stop fishing so I can catch more so I can make more money. This guy could care less about a catfish. Its all about money. The James River is full of catfish. You should look at the light pools at night in the flats. There are thousands of cats up at the surface, some big some small. Get over yourself and just go fishing.

Post a picture of your boat first so we can see who you are to check your catch.
I'm not trying to stick up for anybody but please get to know a person before you post comments like that. Especially on a public forum. That's the easiest excuse to use when this topic comes up. I believe Kevin gave up a much better paying job to do something he loves to do and that is fish.

as far as keeping catfish...I think there is a better way to go about this. People do have a right to keep 1 big fish. IIf you disagree with them for keeping even a legal fish then I suggest trying to talk to them and pursuade them not to do it. If you see someone keeping multiple fish then talk first and then report them to the DGIF. Educating people is the key to promoting catch and release fishing. Even though the law is in effect I still don't think a lot of people know about it. The DGIF and local fishermen need to do a better job of getting the word out.

This is just my opinion( and remember everyone has one) but I believe the James is healthier than it ever was. Sure, you can't just throw your lines anywhere like you use to but that is because fish will adapt and move to other places and also change their eating habits after they have been hit in the head with sinker after sinker. The best holes on the James are places that nobody knows about or overfishes. The Potomac now reminds me a lot of the James back in the late 80's and early 90's. You can set up anywhere up there and catch a fish over 20 lbs. But that will stop once you start seeing more and more people fish it. The fish will still be there but they will eventually get smarter.(for lack of a better word) I'm personally not seeing a gap in any of the size of fish on the James. What I'm saying is that there are healthy numbers of fish that weigh 10, 20, 30, 40 and on up. If you start seeing years where fish in certain size ranges are not being caught then it is time to worry because that means that those age and class of fish have been depleted.

One last note. the commercial guys are under the same laws as recreational (as far as I know) and are only keeping small fish. Studies have shown that this can actually help the growth of a population. If you google you find a bunch of studies on this topic.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry guys I was just trying to find a way we all could come together to protect the big fish. I didnt mean to open a can of worms up but it does suck to see a 20 year fish going to a dog pen to be ate. As for a picture of my boat it will be the Carolina skiff at the CAT QUEST tournament with the big cat in it. ( see you in the winners circle )

1 - 20 of 39 Posts