Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the bay so im not sure about where to go. Somewhere specific would really save me alot of time. Also what to use and how would be great to. Thanks!

Tyson

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
fish the cape henry wreck or around the islands. i use a fish finder rig with a flourocarbon leader about eight inches long attached to a small black hook. This time of the year togs will hit clams, muscles, or any kind of crab. Most people like a drop loop rig so the hook does not get snagged but this rig does not allow the bait to find its way into the holes where the big ones hang.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
It somewhat depends upon where you are located. If on the southside, then the CBBT islands and the wrecks off of the Va. Beach shoreline are good bets. If you are located nearer to Poqusion, York or Hampton, there are closer places for togging--Back River reef is one of those, the sides of the channel coming out of the Salt Ponds marina is another, also the rocks around Thimble Shoals Lighthouse.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Here we go,

LIES!! LIES!!! LIES!!!!!

Everyone knows it is impossible to feel the bite of a tog. Neither a Zen Master, nor a Jedi Knight could feel the bite. Hell, only the most powerful psysics I know even fish for them - the rest of us just feed them costly fiddler crabs until one manages to hook itself!

humbled by the sneaky tog,

Mike;)

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
i can remember when there was no such thing as braided line.......what did they do then >

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mike is right, you have to pay your dues to learn the zen of tog fishing. Fiddlers are the toughest bait to sense to bait snatchers. Blue crab knuckles and clams require the tog to put forth a little more effort to snatch your bait. Shallow water (less line out) is easier to, but I doubt that is where they are this time of the year. I'm a firm believer in 30# braid so you have a good chance of wrestling them out of the wreck and yet you don't have to tie your line to a cleat to break the line if you snag the structure. Try the 4th island, old span out to 30 pilings from the 4th island and anywhere around the highrise old span.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
You have a lot to learn young Anakin...you have to let the force be with you:D

Jamie...they didn't catch any before braids..LMAO

Seriously it has taken me a long to time to learn the feel for them and I still haven't mastered them on the islands. I have a hard time dealing with the current and boat traffic at the tubes and loose a ton of rigs everytime I try. I do well on them anywhere else but the bridge. Any reef or wreck will hold them, do a search on the artificial reef program and that will be a good start.

A stout rod is a good idea also as it is necessary to get them up and out of the struture quickly or you will be wrapped up.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It all depends on where you are coiming out of of, the bridge tunnel is a good place for beginners. After you concur the art of reading a wreck and finding the good parts it is much more satisfying knowing you got the fish from somewhere thats hard to get to. When you get it down you will be able to fish places that are smaller than your boat that hold citation sized fish

1 - 9 of 9 Posts