Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friends DJ and Zhihong and myself left the dock at 9:00AM hoping to catch our first fall migrant fish. It was a beautiful day with light breeze. It was a bit cold but with our curtains down, it was very comfortable.

We headed out of the creeks and Choptank and into the bay. There were a lot of boats on the water. We put down our full 10 rod spread, 6 on the boat and 4 on the planer. We started from around 78 and headed towards the west. For more than 4 hours, we didn't catch anything. We saw some birds working in the water but nothing came to our boat when we made passes though.

By 1:00PM, we were still empty handed and we were a little anxous. We decided to go back to the east side of the shipping channel. We headed towards 78A. I sped up the boat hoping to reach the other end sooner. Then, one of the way back rods on the port side bent. I said to DJ: "There is a fish on that line." It is a shallow rod and the chances of it snagging something in the bottom is slim. DJ and I took turn to reel the line in and we could see fishing dancing on the surface. We landed our first 25" fish:rockon:. Unfortunately, in the process, the fish jumped through the other lines and made a mess. It took us a while to untangle the other three lines.

We put down the lines and started the boat again. In a few minutes, the starboard umbrella rod went down. We quickly reeled it in and landed a 34" :bigfish:.

We made a circle to go back to the same location and landed another 25" on the port side umbrella on the planer.

Another circle and a few more minutes later, we landed our 4th fish, another 25". By now, we were very happy :clapping2:. We circled again two more times and didn't get anything. We then decided it was time to call the day.

Pulled in all the lines and drove the boat to Tilghman to get some gas. We got home just when it is about to be dark.

This is our first trip for the fall migrant fish. It was a good one.

I want to thank all the friends on this board. I read many posts in the last few days and got a lot of good information. Thank you!

Larry

==========
GradyWhite 232

·
Registered
345 Posts
:thumbup:Good job catching the fish. This board has really helped me learn alot about fishing!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Glad to see you get on some fish, thanks for sharing your trip.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Did you get a wwb line tangled up with another boat yesterday?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
toptech, yes we did and we were sorry about it. My friend was watching the boat when myself and another were working on the lines. :( We haven't done a lot of trolling in the past and are still learning. Please forgive us.

==========
GradyWhite 232

·
Registered
365 Posts
I understand you are new to trolling,but you kept forcing us into the other boat that had a fish on,I had to come to a complete stop to avoid you and your lines.I hailed you ch. 68 but you didnt respond,while out on the water everyone must pay attention and work together.Boaters/fishermen like myself and others have hundreds if not thousands of dollars invested in equipment,and dont want to jeopardize losing any of it,not to mention the safety factor involed.I will chalk this up to a learning experience,but please educate yourself with some fishing etiquette, for your and others saftey.Maybe the next time someone will not be as understanding as I am tring to be.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Congrtulations on the fish!! I see you use the same trick I do....I put blue tape on the rods and number them, # bars etc :yes::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I heard the call for you on the VHF and the guy asked for the Grady with 150's.I figured if he was close enough to see the HP - it was ugly.

Nice fish you caught - always tough trolling in the crowd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TopTech,

My radio must not be on channel 68 because I simply didn't hear the call. Not an excuse though. We will be careful in the future and sorry for the inconvenience it caused. Hope we can still be friends on the water.

Larry

==========
GradyWhite 232

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thats ok with me.Like I said it was a learning experiance for both of us.Use this forum to learn from.There are alot of captains with alot of knowledge on this site that are very willing to help,so dont be affraid to post questions.Channel 68 is the one most captians monitor. Tim

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Congrtulations on the fish!! I see you use the same trick I do....I put blue tape on the rods and number them, # bars etc :yes::thumbup:
I learned this from Capt. Wayne Morgan. I put rod number, lure type, color, total weight, length of line, and location of rod on the boat, etc. I also tie knots along the line so that when I give out line, I know exact how long it is. Pretty useful stuff. Otherwise, I have no idea where my lines are.

I also use shopping bags from Whole Foods to hold my umbrella rigs. They are pretty handy and easy to carry. It doesn't mix the colors. The bags are $.99 each and are very durable. You can even hose it down with water with lure in the bag.:yes:

Larry

==========
GradyWhite 232

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I heard the call for you on the VHF and the guy asked for the Grady with 150's.I figured if he was close enough to see the HP - it was ugly.

Nice fish you caught - always tough trolling in the crowd.
Hey Skip,

I heard people calling you on the water and saw your pictures. Great job. :clapping2:Wish I could go fishing with you one day to learn some tricks. :))

Larry

==========
GradyWhite 232

·
Registered
13,936 Posts
This is the way an "incident on the water" should be handled on the board.:thumbup: No one lost their cool and apology made and accepted. We all have to start somewhere and it's tough with all the boats trolling planners. I was out there and saw and heard the entire incident... Gary

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Larry; I'm glad you and Tim worked this out to each others satisfaction. This is nice to see on a "friendly" board. I couldn't help but to notice from your photo's that you look like you have not only a sweet ride, but all your tackle looks to be first class as well. If I can be so bold as to offer a single suggestion. Don't under any circumstances put an inexperienced person behind the wheel when trolling in boat traffic. If your lines are tangled, let the newbie play with the lines while you stay at the helm. You have too much to lose with an expensive outfit like you have. If I leave the helm, I tell the person I put in charge what compass heading to take. This helps them keep a straighter course. Also, don't be vague about your directions. Don't say something like "Head for that buoy." The next time you look up, that buoy may be right off your bow. Additionally, most inexperienced people don't realize how far off course the wind or tide can take a boat. Be safe, glad you put fish in the boat. 5th (Marty)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Marty,

Thanks for the great suggestion. The only reason I allowed my friend to watch the boat is because I have an auto pilot on the boat. We set the course first and it pretty much goes that direction minus tide and wind. But you are right. Whenever the auto pilot was not engaged, I can immediately see the difference. Next time, I will have them work the lines.

Larry

==========
GradyWhite 232

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
--Larry fish the 60" channel edge into 35'---Fleets make fish Skittish ---Your Bent rod will make em come to you --geo.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts