Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy Smokes ,
ran Into A few buddies on the Occoquan today , Catfish Glen and Catfish Johnny Johnson ( sorry I can't remember your buddies name) These 2 guys had some Golden Horseshoe action on the Flatheads today.. Seroiusly, Glen is in the Blue Sweatpants and he must be 6 ft 20 or someting so the fish are even bigger Than they already look . Fish after fish till agony set in . . The Guys were Whooped .. I know they boarded over 500lbs of catfish today..
It was amazing.. Wished Friday was there with the Helmet cam ... It was serious Youtube video

Jay

p.s. Check out the background in the last picture,, Thats Mr. Yellow perch and he was pretty amazed and dropped his jaw when tha best came in the boat

Attachments

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Wow! So what's the drill? Lure/depth? Looks like they were using light rods and fishing for perch but just kept coming up with huge flat heads? I fish the Potomac often, mostly up in DC waters but have never caught a flat head. Pretty amazing they are coming from a tributary further down river and at that size?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Well that's what you do with your undersize yellow perch. Flat heads like it moving and alive. If there really isn't a size limit on yellow perch than send them back down. Or just do what ever these guys were doing, with the appropriate tackle of course.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Light rods 8lbs test and using perch lures till they put bigger hooks on.. It was one particular hole and the way the current runs thru it... The Yellow perch are making a Decent showing now so maybe they are up there gorging while the gettins good.. One was snagged in the tail but for the most part thye were hitting the lures they were using..I actually caught a small one as well.. bye the way the 2 big fish were 37.5 and 42.5 lbs ... Several others were hooked that got off ...

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Wow. With that many and that large of an invasive predator around, that's scary. Who cares about the snakehead when 50 pound flat heads are around. The blue catfish is just as bad. Except the blues are more of a scavenger. Maybe ictaluris could chime in on this a little more but with that many flatheads around, has got to be a reason for the fewer yellow perch. I can't believe I've never caught one up river into DC. They must be there. Maybe this year will be the first. Funny how in Va waters there is a 1 blue catfish per person limit. They should make it all you can kill on the Potomac. Those things are everywhere. Channel cats are just about absent now. 50 pound blues are popping up all over the place. Now we have 50 pound flat heads!:eek2: Not good for the natives. The western fishermen who target the flat heads always use live bait and some hefty tackle. They won't scavenge nearly as much as their cousins for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey fellas it's Glen. A few of them were snagged but for the most part they were eating a large 3/4 oz. silver buddy. Yea appropriate tackle would have been nice but fighting them with perch rods and 8 to 10lb tess was fun. Thanks for posting these and i will be paticipating in this column in the future.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Wow. With that many and that large of an invasive predator around, that's scary. Who cares about the snakehead when 50 pound flat heads are around. The blue catfish is just as bad. Except the blues are more of a scavenger. Maybe ictaluris could chime in on this a little more but with that many flatheads around, has got to be a reason for the fewer yellow perch. I can't believe I've never caught one up river into DC. They must be there. Maybe this year will be the first. Funny how in Va waters there is a 1 blue catfish per person limit. They should make it all you can kill on the Potomac. Those things are everywhere. Channel cats are just about absent now. 50 pound blues are popping up all over the place. Now we have 50 pound flat heads!:eek2: Not good for the natives. The western fishermen who target the flat heads always use live bait and some hefty tackle. They won't scavenge nearly as much as their cousins for whatever reason.
Flatheads have been in Potomac since the 70's. Almost disappeared in the late 80's- 90's for some reason. They are back but they grow slower than the blues. BTW a single Blue over 32 inches per person would be a good thing for the Potomac. Even a a two fish limit over 32 inches would be good.

Right now Salmo you can catch and keep unlimited amounts of blue cats ...unlimited... 800 lbs a day on a simple fishing license.. there is no mgnt of recs at all.

But beware eating a 50 lb blue...

I my mind we have a fantastic opportunity to create a trophy fishery..killing the breaders will end that just like the flatheads in the 80,s

Capt Mike

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Glen--That's awesome. Thanks for the info. I picked up some 3/4oz silver buddies for summer time jigging in the Bay, but I'd like a shot at using them for some big cats like that. :thumbup:

Salmo--Actually, blue cats are really piscivorus when they hit about 15-16", but they will eat just about anything that they can fit in their mouths. There was a study done by a grad student at VCU where he compared the diets of blues, channels, whites, and flatheads in the James. I can't remember if blues were more piscivorous than flatheads, but I do remember that blues really hammered the adult shad and river herring in the spring and the juveniles in the summer and fall. During my master's research, I had a chance to do a stable isotope analysis on blue cats from the Rapp during the summer time. Their isotope signature didn't change much after they were about 16", which means their diet stabilized, at least for that one season. The signature indicated they were likely eating juvenile river herring, but it could've been a mix of other fish species. I was focusing on age and growth rather than their diet. In hindsight, I wish I had studied their diet, because there were some really interesting things going on.

I picked up some blue catfish and got some measurements from tournaments on the Rapp and Pamunkey during that time. Some folks had driven from as far away as Pennsylvania to fish the tournament, and that was before there were many fish bigger than 60lbs, or so, in either river. The Virginia tribs and the Potomac are definitely on very well their way to becoming famous trophy rivers.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Blue catfish may be a great fish. They get huge and offer excitement on the end of a line. But to what expense? What other fish is suffering becuase of these invasive behemoths are around? We don't know the answer to that question yet but something has got to give. I personally can't stand them. They just roll in the current and I once heard them named "Turd rollers." I think that's a perfect description.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Somewhat off the main topic of this thread but like the snakehead, the bluecat is here to stay. Just like so many other no-native invaders like LGMouth bass and those pesky walleye. You may not like them but many people from all walks of life would love to catch a 60 lb bluecat or a 50 lb flathead.

Make lemonaid...

Sorry for hi-jack..

Nice fish BTW...sumptin to be proud of..

Capt Mike

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all,
I wanted to say the other fisherman in the pictures name was Harold.... He was just as busy as Glen .. They had it going on..
As far as the Flathead , they have been around for along time and I doubt they have made aby inpact on the migrating fish like Man has... They are a Natural preditor and we are Implants .. Fishing the Occoquan is a Blast , so many different varieties of fish ... I have had a ball with the Crappie thus far, biggest this year is a 16 3/4 beast... ABout 2lbs and some change... The river holds everything.. and its deep ... The perch should really turn on this week if its gonna happen so Good luck

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Hi all,
I wanted to say the other fisherman in the pictures name was Harold.... He was just as busy as Glen .. They had it going on..
As far as the Flathead , they have been around for along time and I doubt they have made aby inpact on the migrating fish like Man has... They are a Natural preditor and we are Implants .. Fishing the Occoquan is a Blast , so many different varieties of fish ... I have had a ball with the Crappie thus far, biggest this year is a 16 3/4 beast... ABout 2lbs and some change... The river holds everything.. and its deep ... The perch should really turn on this week if its gonna happen so Good luck
Please keep up the great fishing reports!!

As an aside, the blue cats and flatheads are not native species in the Chesapeake tributaries, they were introduced by humans in recent years. Some fisheries biologists are very concerned about potential impacts of these introduced "super predators" to native anadromous species such as shad and river herring. The snakeheads likely have much less potential for adverse impacts to native species compared to the introduced catfish species.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE Perch still scarce I wonder Why

I got lucky today and caught two pretty nice Flatheads... Not sure how old these fish are but I think the're up there ...

The Perch are so Spotty I have no idea why... Could it be the Monsters of the deep... NOPE ..... IT's the "*&^% netters in the creek.. All the way up to the 123 Bridge ...Laid out the long Web of Death right there... I just can't believe its Legal to put nets in a tributary... But the Man ( Enforcement Officer) was right there watching with me and agreed its a crime , but a Legal one...

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts